cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Migrations from Winwows 2003 to 2008 Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I wanted to know if we can Migrate our OS From windows 2003 to Windows 2008 without System copy/Database Refresh.

Here is what we have currently installed in Windows 2003 Server

SID: ECP

Database Oracle: 10g

SAP: ECC 6.0

Cluster: MSCS

SAN: NetApp Storage, with Snapshot from snapdrive technology

Local Drive:

C - Windows 2003 Related files

D - SAP and Oracle Executable files

Shared Drive:

E Drives - Where SAP DATAFILE resides (sapdata1...n)

F Drives - Oracle logs (mirrorlogs, origilog, sapbackup, oraarch, etc..)

S Drives - Message Server relelated files including Kernel/Global/Profile Directories

Here is our plan to migrate to windows 2008 server.

While ECC - Production running, we decided to build SAP on 2 different separate hardware with same specs, on Windows 2008 with MSCS. Then install the fresh NetWeaver/ECC system with SAME SID and build the initial Microsoft clustering for Oracle and SAP like as we did on the windows 2003 Server. Make it looks like Windows 2003 ECP except the OS from SAP and Oracle perspective.

Here is the plan.

Since it is the

- same System ID (SID)

- E, F drives are shared

With NetApp Snapdrive technology, we have an options, disconnect the E and F drive, and connect the drives on the Windows 2008 R1 New Server.

We will also copy the all the Global directory files from old server (Windows 2003) to Windows 2008 (Joblog, spool logs, etc)

Question 1:

Now my question would be, is his will be an good practice option to migrate our OS from 2003 to 2008 windows knowing the technology in hands?

Question 2:

When we install a Fresh SAP system using SAPinst, do SAP Sapinst place any Windows related settings/config automatically into the database?

Question 3:

am I missing any other key facts?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can do that approach but keep in mind that

- you need to install Oracle 10.2.0.4 directly using a different DVD (Note 1303262 - Oracle on Windows Server 2008). If the source system is still on 10.2.0.2 the procedure is not going to work

- after you switch the disks from old to new all permissions and windows ACLs are gone. Windows stores ACLs as GUIDs, not as names so you will need to replace the old with new ones on the disks you present to the new server. This is also true for other files (joblogs etc.)

- the SAP kernel uses OPS$ to connect to the database, I'd delete and recreate the user after the database is mounted and open.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Markus.

Yeah, forgot about the Windows ACL permissions. Thanks again for that.

"OPS$ user" why do we need to delete and re-create this again? Our SID didn't change? any particular reason to delete this?

Kumar

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yeah, forgot about the Windows ACL permissions. Thanks again for that.

welcome

>> "OPS$ user" why do we need to delete and re-create this again? Our SID didn't change? any particular reason to delete this?

I'm not sure if Oracle maps external authentication using the name or the GUID so to be on the safe side I'd delete and recreate it. You can, however, try if an "R3trans -d" succeeds after the database is up. If it does you don't need to recreate the user.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its using the name

Peter