Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF Hanheld, SAPConsole and Chinese lang

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have SAP 4.6C , support package lvl - 2253 and major user are set up for english language. Some of our asian locations want to implement RF device in plants for material GR and GI through SAPConsole (do not want to implemet WebConsole or ITS Mobile). Their RF device's frot end will be in chinese.

Is there a way that in SAP side, I can design the screens in english and those screen get transferred to RF device and display in chinese or any other language except english.

I'll appriciate quick help.

5 REPLIES 5

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP highly recommends to make use of Unicode in your case. However this would also include an upgrade, since 4.6C is not supported with Unicode.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

0 Kudos

Hi Nils,

Thank you for your help.

Is there any other option available in 4.6C except upgrade to ECC 6.0? We have upgrade plan but after 2 years.

How to investigate 4.6C to know that what tools and functionalities it has to implement SAP console for Asian location?

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

there are two questions:

1) Support of characters

If you have an R/3 system based on Western European code page (1100), then the only possibility to support the Chinese characters in 4.6C is MDMP.

There are several disadvantages caused by this method. Naming just some of them:

a) The Unicode conversion causes more effort and you need to combine the Upgrade with a Unicode conversion (separation is not supported)

b) I am not sure whether MDMP works with SAPConsole properly

Please also have a look at SAP note 73606.

2) General language handling in SAPConsole

I am not an expert here, but as far as I read it, you can e.g. select the language in the command line / URL

( see e.g. http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/47/399eaeb2c8200be10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm ).

In some cases, changing the Windows default settings on the frontend side might work as well ...

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks all for your help.

0 Kudos

Depending on your telnet client and telnet server software and the fonts loaded on the gun, there may be a way to display Chinese character sets on the device running a telnet session. The Georgia SoftWorks [UTS|http://www.georgiasoftworks.com/products/uts/overview.php] supports Simplified Chinese with GB (True Type) font package.