cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wily vs ABAP - Please help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have heard so far that Wily is only meant for J2EE along wth SMD.

Is it meant for ABAP as well? What does it do ABAP adn how it is configured.

Please verify.

Regards,

SC

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi,

While Wily was oringally used for J2ee only, I was suprised to see my ABAP stack information show up in Wily Introscope.

I recently installed Solman EHP1 support stack 21 with Wily 8.x.

I configured a dual stack for a managed system and wily introscope shows the ABAP data as well.

Very interesting indeed. It shows pretty much everything including work processes. I haven't attemped adding an ABAP only box yet.

Thanks,

Johanna Doran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are right Jim. That is why I posted this question.

Even the Wily 8.0 guide talk about ABAP and that made me post this question.

We have ABAP and J2EE seperate so do not know what configuration is required. I could not find any document on /diagnostics link on market place.

Please let me know if anybody has any.

Regards,

SC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Morning,

I recently checked the possibilities wily offers and found out, the SMD agent reports ABAP data along with the host related information. This astonished me too.

The bytecode agent you've deployed in your j2ee engine only reports j2ee related data.

So if you run abap and j2ee seperate (different hosts ?) and still want to monitor both you need to have both agents.

Regards,

Heiko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply.

Some of hour J2EE and ABAP is on different hosts like PROD and DEV, QAS are same hosts.

Is the config same for ABAP and J2EE? I know how to handle the J2EE config.

Any idea?

Regards,

Sume

Former Member
0 Kudos

The host agent is to be installed on the central instance of the system.

So I'd configure as follows:

Prod+Dev

machine a: ABAP - host agent

machine b: Java - wily bytecode agent

QA

machine c: ABAP+Java - host agent + bytecode agent

For installing the host agent you can use the installation master dvd of your release. The configuration is different as this installation is done by sapinst. Ensure you got suitable space on /usr/sap as a new installation directory (./SMD or DA(x) according to your release).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply.

What is the role of "SMD agent". The Wily agent (Byte Code agent) is on the top of the SMD Agent as far as J2EE is concern.

WHat is the "host agent"? How it is different from SMD agent.

I will have to read about it.

Please let me know if you know something.

Regards,

SC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Or you are referring the host agent as SMD agent which is nothing but a diagnostic agent as per the master guide.

Please clarify.

Regards,

0 Kudos

I'm currently using Introscope to monitor ABAP only (ECC 6) and BW dual stack systems... on all of them, I had to update SAPosCOL via the SMDAgent media to hostagent (which includes SAPosCOL, it's essentially the latest version). Once that was installed, I was able to get the data fed back to introscope after I installed the SMDAgent, prior to that I wasn't getting much info at all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply Davey.

I will repeat my confusion cum question with the words being used here.

When I configure J2EE to Wily, I install SMD Agent first on Sattelite system then I push Wily agent from SolMan to my sattelite system. I get what I want in Wily and this is what see in the Wily setup guide as well.

Now what is different in ABAP configuration and what is this hostagent etc.

Please clarify.

Regards,

SC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry for my incorrect wording.

As you already assumed the "Host agent" (what I called it) is what's on DVD called "Solution Manager Diagnostics Agent" which can be found in section "Standalone Engines". Once you ran this sapinst installation you are being asked on which server your enterprise manager can be found and how the agent connects.

Afterwards you can (hopefully) see in RCA workcenter -> typical tasks -> agent administration whether the diagnostics agents connected successfully.

Kind regards,

Heiko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply.

I was able to find new guide as well and it was all clear.

The hostagent and diagnostics agent are two seperate things as per the guide.

Regards,

SC

benjaminreich
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have a problem by monitoring an ABAP Instance in Wily Introscope. Wily displays only OS-Level data like CPU utilization but no ABAP Instance specific data.

I have actually installed the SMD Agent on the ABAP CI host and the System is displayed in the SMD-Administration in Solman. The setup wizards for diagnostics ran successfully.

Do you have any advice?

Thank you!

RajeevP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

"Introscope is a system management application created to help you manage Java Application performance." Please read the Wily Introscope Setup Guide 8.0 under Media Library in service.sap.com/diagnostics for the configuration part.

Rajeev

Diggeshhjoshi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Sume,

Not for ABAP.

Wily Introscope is an application management solution created to manage Java Application

performance.

Please read Installation & Configuration documentation and FAQ section at SMP. Here is link to see FAQs.

[https://websmp202.sap-ag.de/diagnostics]

Digesh Joshi

Edited by: digeshjoshi on Feb 24, 2010 3:17 PM