cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash Islands in WD4J - NW 7.01

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are currently on NW 7.01 SP 05 (NW 7.0 Enhancement Package 1) for our Web AS JAva.

My NWDS version is 7.01.05

I am trying to integrate a Flex application into SAP Portal using Web Dynpro for Java.

I am following the article http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b006b4c2-82bf-2b10-d28a-b0c599e7f...

As per the document, I have created my Flex application using Flex Builder 3.0 and generated the "swf" file and integrated it into the "mimes" folder

of my Webdynpro for JAva Project.

However, in my NWDS version I don't have the option of replacing the Root Container of my View with the Flex application.

I have read that Flash Islands is available as of NW 7.11 CE (Composition Environment) for Java.

Also, it looks like "Flash Islands" feature is available in NW 7.01 ABAP (correct me if I am wrong).

My Questions are:

1. Is flash islands available in NW 7.01 or 7.02 (Enhancement Pack 1 or 2) (Java) ?

2. Is there any alternative for using Flash Islands in WD4J besides going for NW CE 7.11 ?

Please throw some light into this area.

Thank you for reading.

- Raj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Recently I started using the same version, and I was a bit happy wondering what improvements WD Java would have. Sad to say, none..

WD ABAP has Flash capabilities, in this version. WD Java doesn't.

As far I understand what is happening to WDP, I don't think Java will ever "advance" in the NW 7.0 anymore. However, WD ABAP will advance and include things we have in WDP (CE) for instance.

It seems WD ABAP will be the focus of SAP now. And it's not hard to say why, considering the whole Java stack.

It's not official of course, but I would say no for both of your questions. (At least, I don't expect and I don't leave any "hope" to my client about Flash in that version)

Regards,

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Daniel, I don't like the negative tone in most of your posts. It makes no sense to compare Web Dynpro ABAP release X with Web Dynpro Java release Y. Web Dynpro Java supports Flash Islands and a lot more in its newest releases. If customers don't upgrade to the newest version they will not get a certain functionality unless it is downported (which is more the exception than the rule). Is this really different with other software systems? Do you have all the functionality of Windows 7 in Windows 95?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

I don't know why you feel bothered due to my "negative tone".. Am I being really negative?

It makes no sense comparing WDP ABAP x WDP JAVA? - Well, I need to answer why I can't do really basic things in WDP Java.. Most of all, why ABAP can use Flash and Java can't?

Oh wait, Java can.. But you need a full Basis spec. to upgrade your Portal / Java stack, you will need a Federated Portal configured not to say all the consultancy work involved to perform this upgrades. Sweeeet.. 😃

You are comparing two different things.. You are comparing an OS with a small Java framework. Most of all, when Windows 7 was released, there was no need of Windows 95 anymore. So you can upgrade and be happy.

What I see is, we can't just forget NW7 yet since not all services have been migrated to CE platform (like KM for instance, correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't need Windows 95 anymore, neither you.. Microsoft did their part. I can just get my Windows 7 license..

And I don't like the fact that you came to this thread to make a comment about me. I'm sure you can find another way to contact me.

What about giving a straight answer to Raj's questions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I did not know that my forum post would become so interesting

Anyways, I am one of the WD4J developers out there who would like to see more features in NW 7.0 version. The 7.1 CE version of Java involves more work (like Daniel said) and would still not solve all our purposes. It would not be an upgrade actually going to CE 7.1 but an addition of a new server in the current landscape for better integration of some cool features.

Though we cannot compare the ABAP and Java worlds, it would have been nice to include some useful (most anticipated for) features in NW 7.0 version of Java. (that were included in NW 7.0 of ABAP)

***************************************************************************************************

Back to the my initial questions, if integration of Flex applications into SAP Portal using Flash Islands (WD4J) is not possible in the NW 7.01 Java version - What would be my options ?

- Can I use any other SAP specific java methodologies (Abstract Portal Components, JSPDynpage, EJBs, etc) to achieve this ?

- To use WD4A based Flash Islands - would it require BSP coding as well ?

Please share some of your valuable experiences.

Thank You,

- Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

"It makes no sense comparing WDP ABAP x WDP JAVA?"

I did not say that. I said it makes no sense to compare the corresponding release numbers and to expect that the functionality should be the same. For Web Dynpro Java, you cannot expect new features in release 7.0 (except a few downported ones). The main development has gone into the 7.1 and 7.2 releases, there you will get things like Flash Islands, Silverlight Islands, Web Widgets, Drag-and-Drop, Context Menus, AJAX features like input suggestion...

I agree with you that updating the complete stack to get the new Web Dynpro features might be a problem. I cannot change that and I wished it would be easier.

And yes, your comments sometimes sound negative to me.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Armin,

the thing is that NW 7.0 Java doesn't include WebDynpro Islands which are in NW 7.0 ABAP.

They are in NW CE 7.1 but this is a different product which has little to do with NW 7.0. It's a Composition Environment which should not be confused with NW 7.0 Java and its next versions.

What I'd like to know is when these features will be embedded in NW 7.0 Java?

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

WDJ 7.1 is the next version of WDJ 7.0. And there are already 7.1 EhP1 and 7.2.

Armin