cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java add-in versus Java stand alone

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have recently upgraded DEV to ECC6.0 nw2004s. We plan on implementing MI in the future after this upgrade is complete. Here are my questions.

1. Is it not possible to install a Java add-in to nw2004s? Seems SR1 is the only nw2004s that has a java add-in, is this true?

2. I have been told that the Mobile scenario requires the Java stack and does not use the ABAP stack, is this true?

3. When implementing a small to medium mobile travel implementation would you choose between a stand-alone or add-in implementation? Would you seperate the two stacks for performance sake? I imagine the load testing could get interesting.

4. Would you choose the add-in option if the Java add-in would be running in the same Oracle DB as your production R/3 apps?

5. It seems that maintenance may be more difficult with the add-in option. Will it be a requirement to patch the abap stack and the java add-in simultaneously? Will this be the same for the stand alone Java server?

6. Since nw2004s SR1 is an upgrade, where do I look to tell my customers they are or are not at the SR1 level? I have people that think we can achieve SR1 through patching?

Thanks in advance,

I am anxiously awaiting your replies.

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

1. It is possible. You can install the java add-in SR1 after you've upgraded to ECC 6.0. Just be sure that your system is up to date before installing the add-in.

2. mobile infrastucure requires an ABAP+Java instance. (check out the nw2004s master guide)

3. you can't seperate the stacks because you need a abap+java system.

4. why not? the java stac is just a different schema in your database and requires additional space, but it's still easier to maintan than two seperate databases.

5. Yes, as you have a java+abap stack you should be on the same SPS level for all components (and there are quite a few...)

6. just tell them to install at least SPS 6 for nw2004s and they have the same level as with SR1 then.

Regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you kindly for answering my questions. Concerning question #4, "Would you choose the add-in option if the Java add-in would be running in the same Oracle DB as your production R/3 apps?" and your reply "why not? the java stac is just a different schema in your database and requires additional space, but it's still easier to maintan than two seperate databases."

I have seen the 6.40 BW abapjava configuration act a bit touchy in an AIX Oracle environment maybe requiring a reboot to clean a hung memory segment(ipcrm wouldn't clear it). Is the ABAPJava stack VERY stable?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

To be honest, the ABAP stack is clearly more stable, the architecture is prooven over lots of years and on the other side the java part is rather new. but i've not seen any problems like you have, so if the java side has a problem, the abap side will continue to run independently. i've not seen a case where I had to reboot the server because of a memory segment (we use AIX and linux) of a hung JAVA process. Are you sure this segment was used by jlaunch processes?

The conclusion from my side is: If you install a java-addin to your server, you must add some ressources like disk space,cpus and lots of memory. but it won't make your existing environment unstable.

Regards,

Pascal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. need to be on SR1

2. not a mobile user

3. see above

4. yes

5. not that difficult; customer decision to do both; customer decision to

do both;

6. you are on SR1 level if > patch 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is the weakest answer(s) I have gotten anywhere.

No help. Withold his geek points!

Is this a race or are we considering quality at all?