cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I specify a Range of "Not equal to" in a GRC-PC automated control?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In GRC-PC v2.5, some parameters in the automated controls are set to an analysis type of "Monitor" or "Number of Changes". In both of these cases, you specify a condition to use when comparing the ERP value to the thresholds of the rule. The condition is chosen from a drop-down called "Range". The options are:

Less than

Less than or equal to

Equal to

Greater than

Greater than or equal to

The missing option is "Not equal to", which is needed when the valid value is in the middle of the range of possible values.

For example, look at parameter CLIENT ROLE in rule BCSYS_01C2_01. In a production system, the valid value should be "P". But the possible values are C, D, E, S, and T, which lie on either side of the valid value. I have tried to add a second instance of the CLIENT ROLE parameter, but that doesn't appear to be possible. How can I set up the Range for this parameter so that it will find values on either side of "P"?

Thanks, in advance, for your time and consideration.

Jeff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

while this may not answer your question I do have exactly that "Not equal to" as possible selection in PC 3.0

Sorry, I don't have a PC 2.5 at hand to cross-check that...

Cheers,

Dominic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dominic,

Thanks for the information. I'll look forward to that option when we upgrade (sometime next year, unfortunately)

The fact that it was added to 3.0 makes me think that the programmers recognized the shortcoming and acted to resolve it. That doesn't bode well for having a built-in solution in v2.5. I guess I'm definitely looking for suggestions for a workaround now!

Anyone?...

Jeff

0 Kudos

Yes currently in PC2.5 this option is not available. Assuming 'P' is the expected value for field CLIENT ROLE and any other value is a HIGH deficiency, the work arounf would be to copy the Rule BCSYS_01C2_01 and maintain Check Type as 'Value', Range as "Equal to" and have Deficiency Value as "C".

Save it. Repeat copying the rule for the number of values to be monitored.

This might not be the best way but could satisfy your requirement.

Regards

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rohit,

That was the path I was thinking of taking, but I was planning to use the "Less than" and "Greater than" options so that I'd only need to have 2 versions of the rule. Does this rule require me to use the "Equal to" option?

Thanks for your reply

Jeff

0 Kudos

I agree incase LT & GT are used only 2 rules will be needed. For this rule, the field cannot be changed to a filter. Any operator can be selected from the provided list and having "Equal To" is not mandatory.

Regards

Rohit

Answers (0)