SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDP (Dual Degree Program)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Our client wants to offer some DDP (Dual degree programs) in their university. An undergraduate student will be able to apply for a DDP with another undergraduate program at the beginning of 3rd semester or end of 4th semester. The student will have to complete all the credits of the first program (let's say 130 crhs) and an addition of 70 crhs for the second program. As a result the student will be awarded two undergraduate diplomas. We tought of some solutions but can anyone offer a best solution, an already implemented process?

Kerem

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any comments?

Kerem

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kerem,

Could you explain a bit more here? Now it seems to me that you want to register a student for two seperate program of studies which for one a qualifcation has to be awarded after gaining (only) 70 CRH (not the full credits to earn a degree)?

Is this the case? And if a student registers for a DDP he needs to get a registration for two seperate SC's? Will there only be one qualification or two for each program?

br,

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Yes, it is the case. To explain a little bit more: student registers for a SC (let's say a total of 120 CRH). At the beginning of third semester, student registers for another SC (for ex. this time student needs to fulfill 60 CRH-not all of the credits). Totally student needs to complete 180 CRH. After completing each SC, student will be 'graduted' and imparted a qualification. (two different degrees). What is the best way to handle a situation like this?

Best Regards,

Kerem

0 Kudos

Hello Kerem:

If you are using or planning to use Degree Audit, one option could be to perform an Admission Audit for Program 2 to check that the student has achieved the required credit total before the Program 2 registration. Here, I am assuming that the student needs to achieve a certain credit total before being permitted to register to Program 2?

From your description it's not clear whether the student gets the Qualification for Program 1 once they complete the required 120 credits or whether the student gets both Qualifications only after completing Program 2.

If the Qualifications are only obtained after Program 2, then you will need to take the Audit results from both Programs into consideration to determine whether the student has achieved the required credit total for each Program.

It's a bit difficult to provide suggestions without knowing the entire business process, however, I hope this is helpful.

Perhaps Rob can add some further comments.

Patricia

0 Kudos

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the missing information.

Yes, the student needs to provide some requirements in order to register for the 2. program like completing all 1. and 2. year courses successfully without failing any, and a total GPA > 3.00 (values are assumptive). Here I think degree audit will solve our problem.

To clear the situation, student will be able to graduate from his/her 1. program as he/she fulfills the requirements for 1. program and can continue with only 2. program.He/She can finish both programs at the same time too. But the reverse is not allowed. To graduate from the 2. program, student has to graduate from 1. program first or both programs must be finished at the same time. Qualifications(via graduation) are imparted from each program seperately. Also audits of both programs are used to check graduation.

Our client wants to view student as the student of his 1. program until he/she gradutes from 1. program. After graduating from 1. program, student must be linked with the 2. program as main program of study, as main organization unit and must be reported as the student of 2. program.

We are also trying this process with academic specialization functionality. Under one program of study, we are assigning the students one major, who are studying just one program and we are assigning the students, who are registered for another program too, two majors. But in this scenario we are having the problem of imparting two different qualifications from one program of study. And we want to have the freedom of imparting these qualifications in different times. Another problem is that the student must be reported as a student of the 2. major when he completed the requirements of his 1. major.

How can we manage this 2 majors from one program of study process? The reasons we are trying to manage this process over one program of study with two majors are fee calculations and scholarship(grant) assingments.

Best Regards,

Kerem

0 Kudos

Hi Kerem:

I am not sure that usng Majors would be the best solution for this business process, however, not knowing the full elements of the process (e.g. fees and sponsorship) it makes it more challenging to offer suggestions.

Since the DDP students get two separate qualifications, I would suggest that you prototype using two Program registrations rather than using Majors, as you will run into difficulty when trying to impart the relevant qualifications. It seems that you also have to report on students by Program registrations. If you use one only Program I am assuming that the report will contain inaccurate results?

One other option you may wish to consider is to incorporate Stages into your Program and impart Qualifications by Stage. So perhaps for the first Program you can impart the Qualificaqtion at the 3rd Stage - as an example.

I am not sure whether this would fit with the business requirement but I thought I would mention it in case this may be a possibility.

Regards,

Patricia

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Patricia. Your answers were guiding and very helpful.

Best Regards,

Kerem