cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Application Server Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi forum,

one general question. If you want to install an application server you need the Installation Master DVD, oc course. You also

need the Kernel DVD. But for what reasons you are in need of the RDBMS Client DVD ?

Kind regards

Olaf Eggert

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

alen_mikulic
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The db connections from the new/additional app servers would be made using the client software so its essential piece to be in place before the install.

Cheers Sam

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you need the DB client to connect to the database...

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Think in case when your Application Instance and Database are on two diffrent boxes. SAP Instance need some medium to connect to the Database. In this case oracle thin client helps to create this medium(channel) with the help of tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The answer is simple... according to my best kowledge, RDBMS Client is required to establish the communication with your DB host (during installation)...

After installation, you may notice that listner.ora, sqlnet.ora files will be created in /sapmnt/<SID>/profiles/oracle directory...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

you are completely right. I found this directory on one machine with an application server. So it will be as you explain it. My

question had the following background : the central instance, of course , needs an ORACLE client to communicate with the

database. That is out of doubt. An application server, however, communicates with the central instance via the message server.

In my opinion there is no direct communication between the application server and the database. For this reason I do not under-

stand the role of the oracle client on an application server' s host. Who can explain me this. I should like to understand it.

Kind regards

Olaf Eggert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Message Server is doing the load balancing activity between the Application Servers, once the lowest load application server

get selected, there is a real connection between the DB (oracle) it is Shadow Work Process & SAP Work process established.

Since its two different host, the communication happens throught tCP/IP ports, so Indeed you need those software available in "Oracle Client DVD".

Each WP, have an 1:1 relationship within the DB. this happen through the DB interface inside the WP.

Hope I have tried to explain to an extent.

thanks

Ahamed

Edited by: Ahamed Yasin on Feb 28, 2010 12:51 AM