cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File to IDOC Scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need few clarifications for file to IDOC scenario.

1. We have a File to IDOC scenario wherein file sever contains a flat file with 3 lakhs records. Now my question is can we send all records at a time or we can follow some other method. Since the load on the queue will increase and which will decrease the performance. What configuration settings need to be done at communicational channel level for file sender adapter?

2. Is there any size limitation, I mean how many records or size of records will be executed at a given instance in queue?

3. If any error occurred while sending the records then I want to notify to the end user via email. In that case what sorts of configuration are required at file server or at R/3 system to send an email to end user? Do we need to configure mail adapter? If yes then how to configure it?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Regards

Faisal

Edited by: Abdul Faisal on Feb 24, 2010 11:51 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. We have a File to IDOC scenario wherein file sever contains a flat file with 3 lakhs records. Now my question is can we send all records at a time or we can follow some other method. Since the load on the queue will increase and which will decrease the performance. What configuration settings need to be done at communicational channel

Yes u can. U can split the records into multiple messages and send it. In the sender communication channel use

RecordsPerMessage attribute and mention the records.

2. Is there any size limitation, I mean how many records or size of records will be executed at a given instance in queue?

This is purely depends on the resources. Try to get the maximum number of records based on ur system config, without hampering the performance.

3.If any error occurred while sending the records then I want to notify to the end user via email. In that case what sorts of configuration are required at file server or at R/3 system to send an email to end user? Do we need to configure mail adapter? If yes then how to configure it?

Yes u can do it. U configure a receiver mail adapter for this. If error occured then call mail adapter.

Use multiMapping.

If still nt clear, pl do post

Babu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful information.

Could you please let me know how to configure mail adapter with multi mapping and when error occured how to call a mail adapter for sending an email to the enduser?

Regards

Faisal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Faisal,

Could you please let me know how to configure mail adapter with multi mapping and when error occured how to call a mail adapter for sending an email to the enduser?

For ur case u will be having two interfaces in inbound(Idoc and a Mail) side and one in outbound(File).

But the problem here is, u cannot have multimapping with Idoc(which i have observed many times).

So what u can do is 2 mappings.

a. Valid: File to Idoc. If the file is correct then the contents are posted to Idoc. This is a simple mapping from source to target.

b. Invalid:File to Mail. If the contents of file are not correct , then an error message with reason is sent to the mail adapter.

For this u can use the mail package or without mail package.

For this please have a look on these blogs,

/people/prasad.ulagappan2/blog/2005/06/07/mail-adapter-scenarios-150-sap-exchange-infrastructure

/people/community.user/blog/2006/09/08/email-report-as-attachment-excelword

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/03/07/mail-adapter-xi--how-to-implement-dynamic-mail-address

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/11/23/xi-html-e-mails-from-the-receiver-mail-adapter

/people/community.user/blog/2006/09/07/email-reporting

I hope this will solve ur prblm,

If still any prblm pl do post.

Babu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the efforts and wonderful piece of information sharing with me. I belief these weblogs are sufficient.

thanks once again.

Regards

Faisal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need a small hint from you. How we'll identify whether a record is valid or invalid at file server side? I mean we need to identify the error record at mapping level? so what could be the condition for that?

Regards

Faisal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Faisal,

How we'll identify whether a record is valid or invalid at file server side? I mean we need to identify the error record at mapping level? so what could be the condition for that?

If u try to validate the file format say... in communication channel(FCC) then if file is in wrong fromat the interface will nt execute.

So the best way to do this is...(in mapping)

1.Get all the records into PI.

2.In the PI, in the mapping, check all the conditions u want to check in source structure by using inbuilt functions and the UDF's.

If any error in source then map the reason to the mail adapter content.

The interface type in the operation mapping should be (0..1), because the mail is not sent if the file is valid(i think im rt??).

I think i answred it.. if im nt clear pl do post...

Babu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Alternate method is make use of Recordsets per Message as shown here: /people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/11/29/night-mare-processing-huge-files-in-sap-xi

2) It depends on the hardware configuration of your server and also the other message processing hapening at that time.

3) Configure alerts in ALRTCATDEF and maintain proper SCOT settings to get the email (can be done in XI/ PI or in SAP system....depending on where you think the error can come from)....more information can be found here:

/people/pravesh.sharma/blog/2009/07/02/configuration-for-forwarding-alerts-as-emails

Regards,

Abhishek.

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Its better to split the file before sending. What is the average record size?

If it is a flat file, you can use option Recordset per message to split the file. You can also zip the file using adapter module.

2. The actualy statistics which affect your performance is hardware dependent.

3. You can simply have alert setup for the scenario and it will send the mails to required user group. No need to use mail adapter then.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

If the record size is more then do we need to zip it? Since I never configure alerts for File adapter. If you share the steps in order to achieve the same then it would make my task easy.

Regards

Faisal