Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get a list of active users on an AS Java platform on a cluster?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have an AS Java NetWeaver CE v7.1 EhP1 SP3 system and it's running in a cluster. Do you know how I can get a list of all users that are currently logged in or whom have active sessions on each application server instance?

Thanks,

Sam

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess it depends on whether you are using session termination or not and how long the "keepalive" is set for combined with how cold the user's cup of tea is

What you see would be questionable, but you can find it in the NWA -> System management -> Monitoring -> Java System Reports -> select your instance -> Report: Monitor Browser -> Defined view: Sessions.

Perhaps a logging option is more appropriate or search around in the monitoring views for what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Juilus,

Thanks, that's good insight I was hoping for a programmatic approach though so that I could notify users that the system would restart for maintenance within a given time period. I was hoping for a service call or an API hook.

The security log is probably to cumbersome to parse for recent users and may rollover during the course of a busy day.

Thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos

Hi,

I doubt that it's possible to send a message to all J2EE users. How would you like to notify the users? You can deploy various java application to your system and I can't imagine that each application would be able to display pop up with message from administrator. Some java application don't need UI at all.

Cheers

0 Kudos

It would be via EMail from the user's configuration, which we can get through the UME API.

Regards,

Sam

0 Kudos

Hi,

that makes sense. I just did not think about a simple solution :-). I can't find any Java API which could be use to retrieve currently logged users. BTW you can see all login session in visual administrator under security provider and tab Runtime and Login sessions. I don't know how to get classes used by VA for this tab. As a workaround you can search for users by logon date using UME API. So you can search for users with logon date equals to current date. Of course, there might be some users who are already logged off from the system.

Cheers

0 Kudos

> I don't know how to get classes used by VA for this tab.

I wouldn't make any development investments based on classes for the VA anymore...

Considering that not only Salvatore himself, but also the JControl might decide for itself that the system needs a hard shutdown and restart.. a possibly better solution would be to use a redirect. If the message server does does not respond or does not find any DIs or not the one which your previous session state was for, then redirect to a page with a meaningfulll message (and apology on it.

Just a thought,

Cheers,

Julius