cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which OS/DB platform for JDI ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to install a (3)system landscape for java development. So far I know, I have to install for each system a SAP Web AS Java 6.40 and to deploy JDI via SDM into it.

It still unclear for me which OS/DB platform I have to use. Can I use any combination like described in the product avail.matrix for "SAP NETWEAVER 2004 ->DB Platforms->Application Server Java" or do I have to resume it only to Windows 2000 Server SP03 with MaxDB ?

The notes specified in the install-guide for JDI or NWDS,

regarding installation on Windows or Linux/AIX doesn't give a clear picture.

Thank you for your response !

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

NWDS (=IDE) is only supported for Windows right now, but the server part (CBS/CMS/DTR) can run on any platform that is supported by the engine. In other words: you have to use Windows-Clients, but you can choose your server OS and DB.

Note that you do not need JDI on each server. Usually you would start with JDI on one server and use the others as runtime systems for development/consolidation. Using the engine that hosts the JDI as runtime system is not recommended. Distributing JDI components across multiple servers may have advantages regarding performance and scalability.

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

so is my assumption right that for the server part, I can use any combination specified in the PAM under "SAP NETWEAVER 2004 ->DB Platforms->Application Server Java"

and after SAP Web AS Java 6.40 is installed I will have to deploy JDI via SDM into it?

I've already installed NDS successfully on some PC'S. Like many, I am also a beginner in the administration of Java systems, therefore pls. excuse if I am too insistent.

Next week I will attend the right training, and after that I hope to understand also how do I have to configure the complete landscape.

Cristian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

AFAIK: Yes. At least I'm not aware of any documented limitations and I've seen JDI on Windows, AIX and Linux with either MaxDB or Oracle.

There are several really required post-installation steps, make sure you follow the documentation.

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make sure you read the NWDI installation guide, which can be found on the SAP Service Marketplace. That details all the steps required to successfully set up an NWDI system.

Answers (0)