Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continous Learning in BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus/Continous Learners,

Good Morning!!!

Hope everyone is fine and doing good!!

I am working in SAP BI for the past 3 years in Implementation/Maintenance/Support projects....

i have few queries regd the Ph.D in BI...

Is it possible to do Doctoral program in BI while working???

can you pls suggest some Universities or Professors who encourage SAP BI professionals to do the above mentioned program??

i apprecaite if you can post me some useful link and info regd this...

Thanks in Advance

Prince

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prince,

Do you have a specific school in mind or have you found one and are asking about them - or are you askinga general enquiry about the value of a BI PhD? I'd have to say that given the importance of BI in general I'm surprised I haven't seen more BI focused doctorates. It's a serious topic and when you consider how many businesses use some form of BI but tend to 'tag it on' at the end of a substantial project that usually addresses another topic e.g. ERP I think there is certainly huge room for BI research.

One of my Professors recently wrote a book on MIS for example and much of the book concentrated on data quality and auditing - how to make use of data when it is incomplete, inaccurate or misleading and I haven't seen too much work on that. I also haven't seen too much work on the visualisation of data and how that interplays with interpretation. It's all well and good having the best data if the way you present it provides an inaccurate or misleading interpretation and leads to incorrect or badly justified decisions. On that topic I've seen almost nothing, despite it being clearly a growth area.

I've certainly got three schools in the UK interested in supporting BI PhDs and I think there are a few that Paul Hawking will know too in Australia - I'd certainly recommend you look into it.

My only caveat would be doing a PhD part-time. It's certainly possible but you need the support of someone who places a value on research and would see a value in the outcome. You also need someone who will support you long-term. A PhD part-time can take 6 or more years.

All the best

Martin

Martin Gollogly

Director, University Alliances

United Kingdom, Ireland and Benelux

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have heard that you could get some degree while doing the research for SAP. But I have never seen any evidence, documents or something like that. There are plenty people who would be interested in things like this one, at least me:)) But for some reason, the schools are not interested in the people with the cruel-real-life experience and they prefer to feed the never-done-anything-useful like my university/ faculty. They have so many pros programming so many so-called experimental operating systems they don´t have time and money for the people who are doing something useful. And that is a pity. I am sorry for the words, but this is how it works at most of the schools.

Time to time I read about some few nice people interested in SAP, teaching about the business + SAP, but there are not many of them and of course they have no space/ use for the crowds of people like you and me.

If anybody has any different experience I would love to hear it. Maybe something new and fancy could start from right here. But I don´t believe it.

regards Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prince

If you decide to continue down th PHD path and looking for BI topics then I can assist. Please let me know.

Good Luck

Paul Hawking

SAP Academic Programs Director

Victoria University

Naga_P
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer to the thread here :

You might find some good suggestions.

rgds

Naga