Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to become a good ABAPER

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends ,

i want to become a String and very good ABAPER..

1) how to improve my ABAP SKILLS .

2) First how to analyze the Issue when issue comes from Functional Consultant?

3) how do improve to writting ABAP coding??

pls advice.

Rgeards,

Sreenu

12 REPLIES 12

Former Member
0 Kudos

Practice, learning, hard work and self-motivation is required to master anything. Practice as much as you can. Understand the code and visualize how it impacts the business process.

For resolving any issues, you need to understand how a bug is causing business impact. Once you are clear with the process, you will know what is causing the bug and where the bug is coming from.

0 Kudos

HI Sandeep,

thanks for your reply.. but i have on e Question.

if i take a Issue from Functional Consultantt.. First how to analayze the Issue??

if i understood the issue, as i am ABAPER , what i want to do??/

and also how to get the confident on whcih code i want to wtrite... i am confusing...

pls explain if you have an exmaple.

thanks,

Sreenu

0 Kudos

Hi Sreenu,

Let me take a simple example of a report program which displays the sales order data. If the functional consultant gives you an issue which says that the net price appearing in the output is incorrect. I would follow the following steps if given such an issue:

1) Identify which report program is an issue. In other words find which object is giving an issue

2) Understand the issue so that you can narrow your search further. Since the net price is incorrect, I will check the portion of the code where in, the net price (NETWR field in VBAP table) is being populated.

3) If the net price is being populated from the right table, check if it is being manipulated further down in the code.

4) if not, check if this is being changed before the display of the output.

This is only an example and once you get different kind of issues, you will become more used to fixing issues.

Before fixing any code, keep in mind the following:

Will there be any other impacts by fixing the code.

Look at performance considerations

Ensure proper unit testing is done by you and by the functional consultant before the code is transported

Thanks,

Sandeep

0 Kudos

Thank you Sandeep for your detailed and thoughtfull answer.

I moved this thread to the Career Forum (function people can also comment here, as well as basis, and end users even...).

This forum is "free" of the ponits system, so the ponits are removed with the move. But I am sure you are "above" the ponits system!

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I think coffee corner will make this thread more visible to a large number of experts than in a career center

0 Kudos

Sandeep wrote:

Practice, learning, hard work and self-motivation is required to master anything.

totally correct:

work and practice hard!

and do not visit to much SAP-trainings in Walldorf or everywhere - most of them are not worth the high costs ....

-> better look in reports of experienced colleages...

greetings from germany

Andreas

kesavadas_thekkillath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The solution is within you

0 Kudos

Hi Kesav,

i am not underatsnd your answaer.

can you explain.

Regards,

Sreenu.

0 Kudos

>i am not underatsnd your answaer.

What does this mean ?

Are you aware that there is a spell check button available when you type a forum message ?

It's even free to use !

PS : English is not my native language.

Regards,

Olivier

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What worked for me (I am NOT a good ABAPer):

1) find a senior colleague who is a nice and kind person who you can ask, it is always ask a guy and cost him 5 minutes (you can repay the next time) than trying to invent a wheel

2) offer your help (yes, you will have to work a little here!) in exchange for the knowledge. E.g. :you have some spare time and would like to learn something, so ask a skilled ABAPer to explain what he is doing and in exchange do a part of his job (I mean pretend you´re going to help him, but you don´t know what to do and he has to explain, then DO the job and always THANK the guy)

3) ask people on SDN about their opinions, alternatives, ask about things which are not a problem now but can become a problem later (you think that task can land on you etc.), share your knowledge (i contribute to forums and it is giving me so much!!)

4) search SDN, read ABAP blogs

5) have a vision: what is to be a good ABAPer? Do you want to be a good ABAPer for XI development? Or to do the FICO stuff? If you know where are you going, you´ll arrive there quite faster

Well... that should be enough for a start:)))

Regards, Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sreenu,

At first stage, you should follow "sams tech yourself abap in 21 days'.

And after that, get access from anywhere and start coding from yourself (you can find many short codes in above refrence).

Monu

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are very limited things to learn:

1. Internal table.

2. Transparent table.

3. Editor mode.

4.Smart forms.

5. Operation onTable (standard & user developed).

6. Workbench

That's it.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Monu