Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webdynpro vs bsp (newbie question)

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Please note I have searched the forum but can't find a definitve answer.

I am new to webdynpro and bsp and have a very basic question. We have an exisiting ess/mss portal, to the ess we are going to add a button which when the user clicks it should show various data for eg their pension contributions. This will simply be a page to display information, no interfacing or anything else required.

To create this page is it best to use the webdynpro or bsp?

Thank you.

regards,

Warren.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

refer the related threads on SDN :

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=2273009&messageID=3093238

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=2273009&messageID=3219883

also go thru this helpful link on SDN :

[original link is broken]

1)BSP and WebDynpro are used for the development of web-based applications.

2)With BSP, we would need the comprehensive knowledge in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript etc.

In BSP, ABAP - based script code &HTML are combined whereas in Webdynpro for ABAP,

We would need expertise in ABAP and the Webdynpro for ABAP framework would generate HTML code for you and your application would be rendered in web browsers.

3)We can consider BSP in similar lines to Java Server Pages or Active Server Pages.

4)The implementation in BSP programming is complex and one also has to do with granular details like HTTP Request/Response ,which is not the case with Webdynpro and framework does it for us.

5)For some older SAP releases or on special purposes, the use of some other UI technology may be inevitable.SAP is now dedicated to using webdynpro as its internet platform of the future. This indicates that it aims to eventually retire such things as BSP. WD ABAP its going to replace all other web based application development methodologies . WebDynpro is the standard, and BSP is old technology.

regards,

amit

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

From the maintenance cost point of view, I will recommend to use same technology as used by your current ESS deployment.

Regards

Prabhakar

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you.

It will resemble current portal theme and don't need anything unique apart from mime object for logo which I already have. The elements I want to output would be picked up from payroll results table and would include various employee details including pension contribution, employee name, etc. I am familiar with the hr data structures and payroll logical data bases.

We could have many users logged on at the same time. For ESS records it would only be 1 user logged in to their own details, but could have many ESS users on the portal at the same time. Not sure on the stateful/stateless question.

The output should be exportable to PDF.

Most of the existing mss and ess objects are in webdynpro.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I don't honestly see anything in your requirements that screams that you should use one technology over the other. WDA is generally faster to develop in and cheaper to maintain over time for such requirements. It is also SAP's standard UI technology for the Business Suite going forward. That said, I would be tempted to go that route.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For some one who want's comparison between WebDynpro and BSP , there is one nice blog by Matt Harding to check out

LINK:[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/13037] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>This will simply be a page to display information, no interfacing or anything else required.

What are the requirements for this page? Do you need a unique look and feel? Or do you need it to take on the Portal theme and are OK with the SAP look and feel? If you need a unique look and feel, then BSP is probably the better choice. What UI elements will you use. Is this really just static information? Any tables of data? Do you need exporting to PDF or Excel? What kind of layout capabilities on the data do you need? How many simultanious users (that questions speaks to Stateful vs. Stateless - BSP can be either - WDA always stateful)?

p330068
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Warren

It depends on you..Please check that your ess/mss application is based on web dynpro or bsp applciation.

You can develop ess/mss application in both web dynpro or bsp.

Thanks

Arun