Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

: Colon in Sales Org Field. ECC6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I am updating some of our roles with correct org levels. I noticed in the sales org field of one of them there is a : in place. Can you tell me if there is a reason for this? I understand the ' ' but I have never come across a colon before that wasn't related to BI queries.

I would like to remove it if its not supposed to be there so I have clean roles so to speak!

Any replies appreciated.

Dawn

I have also noticed this in the customer field. Its under controlling ZCO_REP03

Edited by: Nicnac on Feb 19, 2010 12:47 PM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

As it's in a custom object it makes it a bit more tricky. Usually I would say that there is no need for it.

If you do a where-used on the auth object (can do it through SE84) you can see the program/s that it is used for and if there is any significance of the : value. If you are not comfortable with the object navigator and ABAP then you can get a developer to help with this.

Another route to take is to look in SU24 to see what transactions the object is maintained for and speak to the relevant functional teams.

Ideally all custom auth use should have detailed documentation so you could have a look to see if it exists. Alternatively you could ask the original role builder if they are still around or working for the same company they did when the implementation was done.

13 REPLIES 13

Former Member
0 Kudos

As it's in a custom object it makes it a bit more tricky. Usually I would say that there is no need for it.

If you do a where-used on the auth object (can do it through SE84) you can see the program/s that it is used for and if there is any significance of the : value. If you are not comfortable with the object navigator and ABAP then you can get a developer to help with this.

Another route to take is to look in SU24 to see what transactions the object is maintained for and speak to the relevant functional teams.

Ideally all custom auth use should have detailed documentation so you could have a look to see if it exists. Alternatively you could ask the original role builder if they are still around or working for the same company they did when the implementation was done.

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your help. There is no documentation and the where used list is not running correctly! Your reply was very useful though and I have asked the person who created the object some time ago for information.

Do you happen to know what the colon is supposed to mean?

Thanks

Dawn

Former Member
0 Kudos

> I have also noticed this in the customer field. Its under controlling ZCO_REP03

Hokai! I would be carefull!

Is this really an authorization object or a role name?

I suspect that what the BW folks might have done is to tap into the ECC roles to reuse authorization data for their reporting authorizations. If they wantes to achieve this for all org fields from ECC and also provide the aggregation values as required (because the users and possibly re-usable roles already exist) then they might be maintaining this authorization (which appears to be useless) in the ECC system so that their extractors can extract the role data as well!!

I would go to the BW folks and check on that side first before changing anything.

There are several advantages from this approach, but it does create a dependency between the ERP system and the BW system which is not easily "visible" on the ECC side.

If they are not available, then I will show you some tricks to some of the hints you can find yourself (if this is the case). Let me know.

Actually, I am feeling lucky today so I will bet my hat on it that it is a BW extraction...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

Its in the role as an object. I did wonder about BW as I know we can use colons there, but I didn't realise you can use the ECC auths in BI! I will ask the person who has been looking after the BI auths and get back to you. I'm not back in work until Tuesday so hopefully I wil l now more then.

Thanks I would never have thought to ask the BW guys.

Dawn

0 Kudos

>

> Actually, I am feeling lucky today so I will bet my hat on it that it is a BW extraction...

>

> Cheers,

> Julius

The way you are banding your hat about these days means that you better buy a tasty one....it won't be long.

I am really hoping this one is where : has been used to replace a null value

0 Kudos

> I am really hoping ...

Can I interpret this hope to be your hat, medium-rare with a hollandaise sauce and roast potatoes on the side?

Come on, be a sport

0 Kudos

My hat would need to be very well done. I think there are small animals living in it

0 Kudos

Deal.

I have a straw hat, very well steamed with bolognese sauce and parmesan.

Perhaps this can replace the ponits system oneday (like on Tuesday, when Nicnac gets back...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

So.....

I have asked my colleague in BW and its not for BW purposes. I have also asked my colleauge who created the object and he has yet to reply....hes not exactly quick at responding!

At the moment I'm assuming it has been used for a null value. I will let you know so you guys can decide who is eating whose hat!

I have another issue regarding null values that has cropped up but I will search the boards and hopefully find an answer before posting another question.

0 Kudos

> I have also asked my colleauge who created the object and he has yet to reply...

I u-r-g-e-n-t-l-y need to contact this colleague of yours before that happens!

0 Kudos

All,

I eventually received a reply. I am still assuming that the : is a null value as they didnt answer my question regarding this. I have had to remove the object from all our roles though as it seems it was meant for 2 specific people and accidentally copied to all roles in our UK business some time ago! So it caused quite a stir in the end!

So can a : and ' ' be used as a null value?

Thanks

0 Kudos

> ... it seems it was meant for 2 specific people and accidentally copied to all roles in our UK business some time ago!

Then it must be in the code somewhere as a variable object. Try a scan using report RS_ABAP_SOURCE_SCAN for the pattern "ZCO_REP03" (just the object name) to see where it is defined. That will explain the use.

> So can a : and ' ' be used as a null value?

If you go to transaction ABAPDOCU, click on the yellow "?" icon and read up about the language elements "dummy" and "space" then you will see it depends on how the check is coded. So you need to find the code first.

Generally, the use is the DUMMY construct -> use ":" or "@" etc so that it is searchable.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

So Julius, will you be bringing your hat when you visit the UK or would you like me to supply one 😜