cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCM + Livecache system refresh using offline backup copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

We have SCM systems 4.10 and Livecache 7.5.

Everyday we take an offline backup of the Prod.

There is no backup of Livecache externally or through RSLVCBACKUP Program. We are only taking FS backup of livecache during the offline backup.

We want to do a system refresh on our Test box using offline backup copy of Prod.

Is it possible to do a restore?

If yes, could you please help me with how?

Regards

Vinod K

Edited by: VinodK99 on Feb 19, 2010 1:45 AM

P.S. Friends I am only concerned with Livecache restoration part.

Edited by: VinodK99 on Feb 19, 2010 1:46 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos
We have SCM systems 4.10 and Livecache 7.5.
Everyday we take an offline backup of the Prod. 
There is no backup of Livecache externally or through RSLVCBACKUP Program. We are only taking FS backup of livecache during the offline backup.

We want to do a system refresh on our Test box using offline backup copy of Prod.
Is it possible to do a restore?

I could not resist to add comment:

every day you take some kind of backup, right? Why do you take backup ? You take the backup so you can resotre the system in case of disaster, e.g you server burns down , right ?

so in case of such disaster you will do recovery in different server, we can call this "system refresh", right?

I am realy supprised you have no plann for this situation . Why do you take backup at all if you have no clue how to restore from this backup ?

"There is no backup of Livecache externally or through RSLVCBACKUP Program."

-> I would suggest you to create this kind of backup , then you can do "system refresh" by following SAP standard procedures/notes.

Uness you have some very good reason for not using SAP standard procedures, do you ?

-> If you decide NOT to follow SAP standard recommendation for backup then you shoudl have:

1) quite good reason for this!

2) quite good understanding of the product, so you know what to do in case of disaster situaton!

3) your own precedures developped, implemented and TESTED, before you use the system in "production"

Regards

Ivan

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please review all recommended steps in the SAP note::

886103 System Landscape Copy for SAP SCM

457425 Homogenous liveCache copy using backup/restore

-> Please check the "restriction' section in the SAP note 457425.

What are the LCA/liveCache versions & OS of the source and target database?

Thank you & best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natalia,

Thank you for you reply.

I have reviewed the notes you mentioned, regarding copying livecache , based on note 457425 it can be done if we already have a livecache backup of complete data. But in our case we dont have livecache data backup by RSLVCBACKUP or DBMGUI in order to do the restoration. We just have an offline FS backup of the PROD.

Can we do a restore by restoring the livecache directories onto the test box? If Yes, how?

The OS version is HP UX 11.23,

Livecache 7.5 Build BUILD 044-123-149-413

Regards

VinodK

Edited by: VinodK99 on Feb 19, 2010 4:11 AM

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello VinodK,

-> As SAP customer you could open SAP ticket to get SAP support.

-> In general the Homogenous liveCache copy using backup/restore is supported by SAP as it described in the SAP note 457425.

-> If you didnu2019t follow the recommended by SAP backup-recovery procedure steps & have

Only the OS offline backup of the liveCache server =>

Please see the document at SAP MaxDB wiki : wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/SAP+MaxDB -> SAP MaxDB HowTo ->

HowTo - Creating a clone of a SAP MaxDB database ->

Section u201CCreating a clone manually via reusing volumes and parametersu201D

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have the OS offline backup of the liveCache server =>

Please see the document at SAP MaxDB wiki : wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/SAP+MaxDB -> SAP MaxDB HowTo ->

HowTo - Creating a clone of a SAP MaxDB database ->

Section u201CCreating a clone manually via reusing volumes and parametersu201D

You could follow the steps in this document to do a liveCache copy to Test box using offline OS backup of Prod. Please pay attention that itu2019s not supported for the refresh of PROD system.

Please review SAP documents u201CChecklist for Recovery of SAP APO liveCache >= 7.4u201D

and u201CBackup and Recovery for SAP APO (3.x) / mySAP SCM (4.x)u201D

at -> Best Practices for Solution Management: mySAP SCM

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina