Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening attachments

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear sirs,

I kindly ask for your expertize.

I have a user running new SAPGUI (7.1) and new Adobe Reader (9.1 or something) on Windows 2000. The problem is when the user clicks on the "download attachment" (which is any document saved in SAP GOS), the error message appears that the document is unreachable and cannot be opened, and the path to the file is mentioned.

When you follow the path in the windows explorer, you get to the SAPWordDir, where there is the desired file and can be opened, modified etc.

My question is:

a) has anybody faced the similar problem?

b) is that reason in SAP GUI, in OS or any other suggestion?

c) is there any file path length limit in Windows 2000?

d) any other suggestion?

Thank you all, Otto

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per this SAP Note 1308147 - SAP GUI Crash with Adobe 9 and ECL Viewer 6.0, it is recommended to use lower versions of Adobe Reader till there is further update on this incompatibility of SAPGUI with Adobe 9.

As per this link [https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/plm/adobe9-SAPGUIcrash|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/plm/adobe9-SAPGUIcrash.], the workaround solution for this problem is to unset the flag 'Display PDF in browser' in the Adobe settings under subtopic 'Internet'.

Open Adobe Reader -> Press <Ctrl+K> -> Switch to Internet Category -> Uncheck "Display PDF in browse" and apply the changes.

Also, I hope you are using SAP GUI with latest patch level.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Never found a cause or a solution. the user got a new computer with Vista and stuff what resolved the problem. Otto

p.s.: thank you for your time and effort anyway

Former Member
0 Kudos

I ran into this problem last week when trying to open compressed PDF documents (ZIP files). After hours of troubleshooting, I figured out this is probably a bug in SAP GUI or by design.

Regardless, the cause of the problem is the SapWorkDir variable has a lenght limit of 70 characters.

You can reproduce this problem by manually change the SapWorkDir registry value to point to a very deep folder.

If anyone know a SAP KB article documenting this issue, please post in in the forum.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

The user has:

MS Windows 2000, SP4, 5.00.2195

SAP GUI 710, 7100.4.15.1046 = PL 15

BTW: I love when everybody tell to check the patch level, but this windows is like 10 years old, why would any patch level should correct the error if it is 10 yrs old?

Maybe I can get some more ...well.. direct advise?

Otto

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Problem may be with "accessing a File Path which is having Space".

Have you tried to "Download Attachment", after changing SapWorkDir path to other path which does not contain any spaces ?

You can set GR8(SAP Graphics: File transfer DOWNLOAD path) and GR9 (SAP Graphics: File transfer UPLOAD path) parameters in the User Profile.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In fact the problem is not only with PDF files (I have mentioned that because this is my responsibility and most of the files are PDF forms) but with all the files (like txt). I think the problem is somehow connected with the filename, filepath, sapworkdir or authorization (public sector customer). Or maybe the filepath is too long?

The same functionality works for my Vista + same new Reader very well. B ut I cannot easily compare all involved software version. Or if it is the OS problem. Maybe there is a log for SAP GUI where there is some more info regarding this?

But thanks for your effort anyway, Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perhaps SAP Note 1131299 - Problems with the PDF display

It helped when we had similar problems.

But it is about PDF only.

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SP level of Windows 2000 ?

SP4 is the minimum required level to run SAP GUI on Windows 2000.

Also, apply the required SAP GUI Patches.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff