cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

expected Hardware requirements

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts, Currently my system is running on SAP4.7, DB -> Oracle 10g 10.2.0.4, OS -> HP-UX 9000/800

Our current DB size is 4 TB. I would like to know how we can plan the expected Hardware requirements(like CPU, RAM) size would be 10 TB considering our monthly DB growth is 250GB.

Any suggestion on this would be much appreciated.Thanks

Regards, Amber S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no direct relation between cpu and db size, cpu load is cause by user interaction and batch jobs. So you need more cpu, when you add more users, schedule more jobs.

Regarding memory you should think about increasing the db_cache_size (maybe the SAP table buffers too) when the db grows. But you should monitor the cache hit ratio over a longer period.

More important, if your database grows from 4tb to 10tb, then you might need faster disks and maybe adapt your backup strategy.

Here is some general advice:

- monitor response times, if they increase over time, find the reason and take action against the problem

- constantly monitor the cpu usage, if it goes towards 90% often, then you should get faster and more cpus

- monitor the db cache hit ratio, if it goes down, then you need to increase the database buffer size

Depending on your installation, you might just add another application server. You should also seriously think about deleting data and archiving.

Cheers Michael

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mho, Thanks for your reply. Actually I am looking for the details like how planning of H/W can be done like for 10 TB data size. I would like to know if some standard procedure is there to calculate that or any OSS note which suggests the steps for planning.

Regards, Amber S

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am looking for the details like how planning of H/W can be done like for 10 TB data size

Just make sure you SAN can accomodate the data...

Also with such a big database you probably should consider (if not already) implementing archiving

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, a the detailed hardware sizing has to be done together with your hardware vendor. You consider your actual configuration, add coming load (like db growth to 10tb), plus some reserve.

HP should have a pretty good knowledge on how an installation like yours should look like.

So basically there is no quick and standard procedure to take, because you already have a running system and know pretty clearly where you are going. Of course for a very basic recommendation people could use tools like the [quicksizer|http://service.sap.com/quicksizer]

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you tried Quick Sizer and the paper on the background of sizing SAP solution on

http://service.sap.com/sizing

If not please check it..

V...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amber,

Couple of things you can do are

1. Run the EWA report for the systems to check the CPU and RAM.

2. Analyse the statistical database size i.e on a monthly and yearly basis and you can arrive at the approximate database growth rate.

Cheers....,

Raghu