cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high roll wait time

Former Member
0 Kudos

For my below crm transaction for a perticular user the response time is ~18000 ms out of which 15130 is roll time. Memory used is 16 MB.

"BSPWDWCC_SLS_HOME SAPMHTTP /sap/bc/bsp/sap/CRM_UI_PORTAL/B"

Roll time

Out 5 ms

In 5 ms

Wait 15,130 ms

Where is causing this roll wait ? What memory is not sufficient ? What to look at ?

In st02

roll buffer max used is 25% ,

page buffer max used is 10%.

EM max used 50%.

No swaps for above.

My user memory settings are as below:

ztta/roll_area 9000000

ztta/roll_first 1

ztta/roll_extension 4000000000

thank you

Laxmi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

At our company, we have this issue too, but there seem to be some transactions that have a roll time of 180,000+ ms.  What could cause a 3 minute roll time.  The network to the sites utilizing SAP are connected on private fiber with high bandwidth and low latency, so it would be hard to believe this would be a network problem.  Is there another cause for high roll time?

0 Kudos

Hi Brandon,

It's always good to check STAD record for the transaction as start. High Roll Wait times can be caused by:

- WAIT command in the code (WAIT UP TO ... SECONDS, WAIT UNTIL ..., COMMIT WORK AND WAIT) - in case of COMMIT WORK AND WAIT, you should find an update task consuming the time, which might not be necessarily on the same application server, but executed report is always RSM13000.

- Long running RFC. In this case you will find RFC details in the STAD record, you should check the client profile, you can see which destination was used and what function module was called. Remote execution time is the time spent within that function module on the server.

- Similar is the above example where we can see that an HTTP application was launched and it was running for longer time, in this case it needs to be checked what is running under that URL.

- If along high roll wait time the GUI time is as well high, then most likely time is spent on communication between UI layer and application server, or rendering the application on the UI. In SAPGUI you can see response time and interpretation time, if it is HTTP based, you need some tool like HTTPWatch to see rendering time.

Best regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

High Roll wait time usually indicates issues network problems.

krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Shyam,Krishna.

I checked another similar instance again today with high wait time. Most of the time was wait time. There were NO RFC RECORD. just http record with most of it being on the server (Remote exec. time ~ 16 534 ms).

Now i assume calling time = gate way time + remote exec time. So as most of it was on the server I can rule out network.

I checked st03 and rfc times were really small. Also we have plenty of wps .. ~ 90. So not sure why still the high wait time. Also stad does not give any RFC record. If this was rfc will it now show up ?

I have given below the details. Am I missing some thing ?

Response time 16,546 ms

Wait for work process 5 ms

Processing time 1,155 ms

Load time 28 ms

Generating time 0 ms

Roll (in+wait) time 15,016 ms

Database request time 341 ms

Enqueue time 0 ms

Roll time Out 5 ms

In 3 ms

Wait 15,013 ms

NO RFC SUB RECORD

HTTP Records

as Server

Number Connections 1

Destinations 1

Calls 1

Time Calling 16,540 ms

Remote execution 16,534 ms

Idle 219 ms

HTTP Server connection record

Connection-Id 4B7CAADEF5DA00A7E10080000A68F456

Communication step Send/Receive

Timestamp 20100218 155216 EST

Host sappc003

Port 8031

Path /sap/bc/bsp/sap/crm_ui_frame/BSPWDApplication.do

Status phrase OK

Status code 200

Protocol HTTP

Method GET

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In the info you provided, there is high roll time, i would assume, there is lot longer GUI time as well, although you did not copy those details.

Is STAD report for that paricular user always like that? Is user downloading/uploading some thing to system? How is the same transaction behaving for other users?..

If users are in different offices, and if particular user is having slow response form that office, most likely, it is slow WAN link and particular task. Check the latency of Ping from that office which may give bit more idea.

hope this helps to analyse further

Krish

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you.

no gui times .. and yes the users are all running the same transaction and the times are almost similar.

tried the pings and no problems ..see below.

64 bytes from 10.104.244.77: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0 ms

64 bytes from 10.104.244.77: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0 ms

64 bytes from 10.104.244.77: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0 ms

As the request is already in the server where the delay happens how what n/w plays a part ? The only n/w will be between app servers and in this case its all on the same physical box as diff lpars.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to post STAD report when the reponse time is higher?

Also how ST03N reponse time for that transaction?

Yes, network can cause slow response

eg: if user trying to export data from a long report to excel on local PC or Citrix client over the network or exporting a document? If the user is working from a small office over ADSL line and if link is poor, response can be slow.

Former Member
0 Kudos

closing thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've same problem, please provide the solution.

Thanks

shyam_dontamsetty
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Laxminarayan,

High Roll wait time ususally occurs if a work process waits for the other work process to get complete its task and rollout,as a result the commited information/details will be using for your wokrprocess that is processing your current problem query.

Do you observe the same behaviour all times when you run this task? if so try to trace and get the info why roll wait times are high. The 'roll wait time' is time during which a work process waits for an RFC. The user context is in the status 'rolled out'.

You need to understand the complete list of calls/executions that is performed by this transaction.

1.Make a note on this transaction for different users,means identify whether this performance slow behaviour is there for all users. For this gotot ST03N =>Transaciton Profile=>select this transaction ;Check the behaviour of this tcode for differnet users.

2.Do runtime analysis on this transaction using SE30 to see what RFC 's are making delay in executing or roll wait is high.

3.Goto ST03=>RFC profiles=>Check the problematic RFC funtion module statistics.

Best Regards,

Shyam Dontamsetty