cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special characters pasted from Word doc not rendering in Adobe Reader

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have recuiters who have copy/pasted special characters from MS-Word into a new eRecruiting requisition (the text contained square bullets from a bulleted list). When pasted into the requsition, the Adobe pdf displays those characters as "-,," to the recruiter. When end users then display the PDF, the results are inconsistent. Some desktops render the text without displaying bullets, and others show an Adobe Reader popup: "The Japanese Language Support Package is required to display this page properly".

I am wondering what device settings are causing these differences and if there is a solution to display the special characters.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the leads and info. Looking at document properties of the form (pdf), I found that Adobe recognizes the special characters (square bullets from MS-Word) to belong to the KozMinPro-Regular-Acro (Kozuka Mincho Pro Acro) font family. For users with Adobe Professional, the font is recognized to be "KozMinProVI-Regular", for those with just Reader the "Actual Font" is "unknown". That's why certain users see text and others cannot, because of the font pack being installed.

This Japanese Unicode font pack can be downloaded for free from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontpack.html

So the issue is, when the characters are pasted into the pdf, why does it get interpreted to be Japanese? We are going to look into 'converting' special characters to the best of our ability to known unicode fonts on submit from the recruiters (as opposed to pushing a Japanese font pack out to the enterprise).

By the way, SAP Netweaver is doing the rendering and the Form is ZHRRCF_PUBLICATION_INT EN, if that helps.

romanweise
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

to make things short, although this is probably not very satisfying, you should prevent all your end users from copying text from word into an e-recruting application. Word contains tons of non-printable characters and as SAP uses completly other code-pages than windows everything can happen when these characters are loaded into sap.

Be aware that this is not only effecting the formating. It took me 2 weeks last year to find out that a single posting was not found in the job search as one of the "spaces" in a posting text was in real a special character which made the TREX abort indexing on this publication documents.

If you like bullet point lists in your publications there are ways to work with escape characters, we usally use the # character. So the recruiter types flow text and if he likes bullet points he just starts his paragraphs with # and then the publication transforms them automatically into bullet points. If you are quite familiar with smartforms adding this takes perhaps a day. If you want I can link some customer publication example and add some guidance how to build this.

Best Regards

Roman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks robert, I can advise our business partners how and what to copy/paste from Word or notepad into the pdf's.

In terms of how the PC and Adobe client behave when rendering, do you know why certain desktops would popup the message "The Japanese Language Support Package is required to display this page properly", while others can render the text and just not display the bullets?

I t would be awesome if there's a desktop setting, perhaps in the Adobe client, that can be adjusted to handle the rendering without the popup (error).

Former Member
0 Kudos

the only thing I can think of is that the field's Locale property is set to "Viewer's System Locale" instead of English or whatever it needs to be.

also, check to see what locale your user's have set in their own properties.

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the Reader version same across all desktops? Do all users have Admin rights on desktops?

Is this an ACF / ZCI form?

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adobe doesn't support those formatting options. I've read where people have done some very elaborate coding to get it to work - uou can search the forum.

I think the best bet would be to have those documents copy/pasted into notepad then copy/pasted into your form.

I have seen some special formatting done and interpreted properly using regular ABAP passing over a Standard Text Object from SO10, though. But I don't think that's going to help you.