Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Future in next coming years

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have 4 year experience in SAP ABAP/4. There are so many comments that ABAP have been obsolete in next few year's. This is true about it.

Then what will be the SAP ABAPer future.

If we can switch any other module, which one is best for ABAPer.

Note: - I have good knowledge of Functional also - SD / MM/ FICO / alongwith ABAP.

Plz help...

Edited by: @ABAP@ on Feb 16, 2010 7:28 PM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jelena
Active Contributor

This discussion was actually opened 5 years ago, so the years came and ABAP is still doing fine apparently.

36 REPLIES 36

Former Member
0 Kudos

ABAP will remain the programming language, because SAP has complete control over the product. That's why customer-facing things like ESS, etc. have been re-written from Java to ABAP Web Dynpro. I think that at the moment, 8000 screens have been re-written to ABAP WebDynpro (of > 20,000, but not a one-to-one conversion as some tools are being redesigned).

NetWeaver 7.02 will contain the largest-ever set of enhancements to the ABAP language for a single release, including new keywords, a new compiler and a re-worked interface, web-dynpro-like apperance, string manipulation enhancements.

Who told you ABAP will be obsolete? That's not what's in SAP's publications and demonstrates a serious lack of understanding of what's going on at SAP, IMHO.

0 Kudos

I have read many questions on ABAP is dead or what?

They point to ominous signs: they tells that all the new SAP programs are written in Java (not true), and they are concerned that the NetWeaver CE is an exclusively Java-based environment (true). The NetWeaver Developer Studio is also almost exclusively Java-based (also true).

But ABAP is not as dead as some might think, there are still more than 238,000,000 lines of ABAP code in SAP. ABAP is still entrenched in SAP, and SAP is still entrenched in ABAP.

ABAP is still making its presence felt: some of the new NetWeaver PI functionality was written in ABAP. You might not see it when you work with PI, but the ABAP is there underneath, keeping things humming along.

Thomas Jung of SAP Labs, who writes an outstanding developeru2019s blog on SDN, telling - some of the underlying NetWeaver functions were written in ABAP, and of course there is the Web Dynpro for ABAP. Jung also told that the ABAP Workbench is indeed part of NetWeaver, and is being equipped with many of the Java side of NetWeaver is receiving.

ABAP is still the part of the SAP.

So I think thats it on ABAP, that will be there always. No implementation is possible without ABAP.

So the ABAP is dead or not doesn't leads to answer "Yes" or "No".

But for now, we can safely say that ABAP is not going anywhere. Itu2019s also becoming clear that whether youu2019re an SAP ABAP person or an SAP Java person, if you donu2019t make a commitment to understanding the latest generation of modeling tools (CE, Visual Composer, Aris for NetWeaver, etc.), and how they fit into the emerging Enterprise Architecture, youu2019re going to be left behind.

(Refernce taken from many blogs, thanks for sharing important information. e.g blog.com, jonerp.com, sdn.sap.com)

Thanks and Regards,

Ravindra Sonar.

Edited by: ravisonar01 on May 8, 2010 11:58 AM

Edited by: ravisonar01 on May 8, 2010 12:01 PM

0 Kudos

Agree with you but if you look at their communication and releases it's very confusing.

vinod_vemuru2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not sure if i can answer this question here!!!

Assuming that moderators will accept this, To some extent(May be 5-10 % i can say) it is true that SAP is slowly moving towards JAVA. But one thing definitely for sure is ABAP will still exist in core SAP programming at least for a decade or two.

If you are a good techno-functional person, my suggestion is to shift towards the functional role as business concepts will remain same irrespective of whatever software/language you use.

Even if ABAP is going to obsolete, it is only the Syntax that is going to be changed in the new language. Fundamental programming logic and concepts remains same

PS: You don't have to worry much at this point in time. Have a nice time in your career.

Thanks,

Vinod.

0 Kudos

If i want change in SAP ABAP to some other module then which one is best..like

ABAP OO

ABAP Webdynpro

ABAP Workflow

ABAP CRM

which one i can select.

and functional point of view can i go like this way...

SD --> CRM

Pls suggest..

0 Kudos

"To some extent(May be 5-10 % i can say) it is true that SAP is slowly moving towards JAVA. But one thing definitely for sure is ABAP will still exist in core SAP programming at least for a decade or two."

Actually, the reverse is true...JAVA is being abandoned (although JAVA stack will continue to run). There will be no new SAP development in JAVA, according to presentations made just last December at an ASUG meeting (Thomas Jung, SAP Labs, was the presenter).

0 Kudos

please tell me if i switch into another module which one is best in my above given options...

0 Kudos

HI Dave,

Even thats what i meant to say

JAVA part is very less compared to ABAP.

please tell me if i switch into another module which one is best in my above given options...

I feel this is completely perception. Answer differs from person to person as each one might be looking at different angle.

As per my experience, FICO always tops the list (Provided you have very good FICO concepts and business understanding). SD and MM comes next and PP/QM follows later. I suggest you to go with what ever module you are strong and improve on your weak points.

Thanks,

Vinod.

0 Kudos

Î agree with Dave. I got the same info that...

"There will be no new SAP development in JAVA"

Andreas

0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

If you are a technical consultant. Its always good to have hands-On with multi modules.

And to the current trend, the hot spot topics of ABAP are,

Webdynpro

Workflow

Sy-Base ODATA

and Successfactors

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My comment is a little of topic, but

Forum Points: 0

Seems a little weird to me. Looks like you have never helped a living soul, but still asking other people for help. You benefit from their work and experience and bringing nothing back. That is what I really DON´T LIKE!

Otto

0 Kudos

Hey Otto,

Indeed, you are true enough to be justified.

Anyway but somehow his (@abap@'s) forum thread attracted me because I read as -

"ABAP Feature in next coming years". ..... I just misinterprete "Feature" For "Future".

Thats why I went to read that thread Other wise I would have never.

But I got to know that there are people who are concerned about points and posts count and joined date as well while replying.

So I better be careful while posting any reply, to not to jeopardize my profile on sdn.

there is always something to learn if you think in that way ) right otto??

Thanks Otto.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravindra Sonar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Otto / Sonar

This is not Give n Take.If you have something to give n want to give, just give it don't bother about others.

This is an public forum meant to help,if you don't,no one is forcing you.

Regards

Jai

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is not Give n Take.If you have something to give n want to give, just give it don't bother about others.

This is an public forum meant to help,if you don't,no one is forcing you.

I guess we can expect nothing from you then?

To the poster, About 10-11 years ago, at the time I was an independent contractor with 5 years of ABAP experience, there was the great announcement that SAP was moving toward Java, and the interpreted message was ABAPers needed to adapt or be found obsolete and out of a job. I went through a Java certification process to make sure I was ready for any new requirements. Guess what happened? Not much relatively. Java came and Java went (or is on the way out). ABAP is here to stay...not that it couldn't use some help from other languages...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I worked for many years on both languages: ABAP and Java. My view is: ABAP is a u201Cbusiness languageu201D but not a general purpose language as Java. ABAP and Java are centered on different domains.

SAP has failed when try to use ABAP out of their natural domain: SAP MI ABAP synchronization engine (2007).

I think actually SAP is shifting SAP PI to Java only stack because performance problems due to stacks (Java+ABAP) and competence as Oracle is using a Java only solution for EAI.

Thanks

Biman
Explorer
0 Kudos

Well its 2014 and 4 years have already past from the moment this post was written. At this moment also SAP ABAP is going strong and from the looks of it, it pretty sure that its going to be the same from years to come.

Although it does vary from people to people and what they think.

0 Kudos

What is the future for ABAP. For people like me who are just 1 year into ABAP it is kinda scary when i see people coming out and speaking SAP HANA  SAP UI5 to take over the market in a year or two.

I request the experts here to convey as per their knowledge the way to go for budding ABAPER like me.

Another Query--

i have 1 year of experience in a support project in R3 and now i am into a ISU implementation and i have 1.5 months window to learn a new technology. Which should i go for:

Webdypro

Workflow

OR some functional in ISU like EDM , FICA etc (this i am not sure of as i do not have complete knowledge of ABAP as yet)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please create a new thread if you are not getting correct answer in existing thread(s) and comment(s).

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would say that ABAP is, if not dead, then at least slowly dying. With the advent of HANA, and SAP's focus on UI5 (and SAP Personas) for everything UI-related, ABAP is relegated to a dusty corner, powering existing business functionality that hasn't yet been transferred to the new platforms (HANA views, SQLscript, Javascript).

With the future advent of S4, ABAP will receive another headshot.

My advice would simply be: Focus on Javascript, HANA modelling and SQLscript; learn just enough ABAP to be able to do the minimum needed. Putting ABAP on top of your list of priorities is no longer the thing to do.

Regards,

Trond

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Trond Stroemme wrote:

With the future advent of S4, ABAP will receive another headshot.

ABAP is like legendary Rasputin who was (allegedly) poisoned, shot and still did not die. The language itself may be on a decline (although then I'm confused why SAP bothered making changes in 7.4), but knowledge of data models and business processes that usually comes with it won't go away with HANA (as we've been told).

But just like it's not wise to keep your life savings in one bank, every programmer would be wise to diversify their skills. As usual, my general suggestion would be to go with your heart and don't chase some "hot skills". If you don't like your job you won't be successful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But there is still loads of customers with ERP and most prefer to go for ERP with HANA as a secondary or full time database. Also with ABAP plays a role with HCP.

I am not sure how much S4/HANA is capable yet and matches the functionality of HANA may be S4/HANA is better for customers looking to own a light weight component with few core services but any one out there for serious ERP with some mind blowing analytical applications will go ERP + HANA. Also with OData and gateway services we can create customer apps in UI5.

Did SAP say that it's end of road for ERP, then there's still money to be made with ABAP. You know what HTML and JS are very easy compared to ABAP and it's capabilities but not every one loves JavaScript or wants to work on it. My simple question is why SAP did not go the way of creating a custom UI development studio like Adobe or others have done to generate back end UI5 application. I have a gut feeling that will happen very soon that has to be done by SAP.

It would be great to have a post from SAP gurus on ABAP, but i have a feeling cloud or umbrella whatever ABAP is the coolest language and i absolutely love it and want it alive and healthy for me to keep making some money to eat live and pray 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TRond,

I would beg to differ if we look at the new ABAP stack and the language improvements and how seamlessly UI5 apps can work with ABAP business logic. ABAP is here to stay and flourish.

Now, HANA is basically a DB how much of business logic will you take it down there? in private cloud ABAP is there roclk solid, but problem is public cloud and ABAP in HANA container. I hope SAP shows some love and move in that direction.

UI5 is just a UI/UX tool, Java Script for business logic is just a bad bad joke and ABAP is best suited for enterprise application development so why Java can get a foothold and not ABAP is alos beyond me with ODATA +ABAP + UI5 and HANA ; SAP can create a compelling user experience but SAP is busy with BOL why ???? That's too funny..

Former Member
0 Kudos

But ABAP 7.5 is at heart of the S4/HANA.

ivan-ae
Explorer
0 Kudos

ABAP has been evolving ever since I started at a time where R/2 was on a sundown path.  ABAP itself will not be phased out that quickly, even if this would be a SAP strategy.  There is such a vast library of developments running within the backbone of many organisations.  Changes of such magnitude will come gradually, natural evolution.

Some may still recall Cobol, another business oriented language born in 1959 and still alive today.  Cobol is by far not a "sexy" language anymore though throughout the industry there is still a relatively large usage base.

If you look at ABAP as a pure coding language one may find far more challenging and interesting

domains.  This may also be what differentiates a coder from a seasoned SAP developer.  ABAP on its own is a relatively easy language, the challenge comes when mapping business requirements against technical capabilities of the SAP product portfolio.  No doubt, this challenge will remain for many more years.

I often see ABAP developers as dinosaurs within modern IT.  No doubt, also dinosaurs became extinct.  Even changing development toolset (e.g. SAP GUI to Eclipse) runs at a snail's pace.  ABAP developers will have to evolve.  Next to understanding business processes and its needs our technical toolset will expand rapidly, we are entering a hybrid SAP arena.  Next to ABAP we will also require expertise in the areas of SAPUI5, Fiori, OData, HANA, …

Just recently I was at a SAP trade fair, listening to a key note "adapt or die".  Very applicable!

Regards, Ivan

Message was edited by: Colleen Lee - removed private contact details as this is against SCN rules. Only publish your email in your profile.

Former Member
0 Kudos

UI5 with OData services and ABAP business logic at back end is really cool and good. So yes it's time for us ABAPers to embrace the modern UX. But then ABAP stack must be supported on all SAP innovations for business logic, nothing can beat it and when the developer gets UI5 and OData tools then only pure magic happens.

I was very frustrated initially , now i have become quite comfortable with UI5 development, it's really easy and so is OData and service builder classes and the entire coding and set up process.

But JavaScript is a foolish language, the dynamic typing and all is a nightmare and can easily led to a big failure so it must be just restricted to UI rendering only.

But over all with UI5 the entire UX reaches a new level, the WDA is a sick technology and really sucks and BSP is dead, so UI5 is really a big potential for ABAP developers to be more relevant to new job opportunities, negotiate better salaries and stay in demand.

0 Kudos

Hi Prasenjit,

What would you recommend as the starting/entry point for learning and familiarizing yourself with the whole new UI5 world within SAP? All the materials I find are only partial and based mostly on some weird examples, which I don't like. I'd rather read something more organized and structured.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vadim,

Hope you are doing great and sorry for the late reply.

I started with basic java script and jquery so that your fundamentals are clear, u don't need to be a JS guru but at least we should understand the basic syntax and concepts. I read JavaScript and JQuery from book by John Duckett.

I also made myself aware with simple HTML and CSS using code academy.

Then i purchased the book on UI5 from SAP Press by Miroslav Antolovic, and then i do a lot of google and you tube stuff where people have many good videos on basic demos. so i go through them and learn the ones i find not weird and are interesting in content.

Finally install eclipse and the add-ons and just write programs for whatever you learn on a given day.

Regards,

Prasenjit

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot, Prasenjit!

Jelena
Active Contributor

This discussion was actually opened 5 years ago, so the years came and ABAP is still doing fine apparently.

abdul_hakim
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ABAP will be still doing fine even if someone reopens this thread after 100 years

Former Member
0 Kudos

will sap survive another 100 years, Nokia is 150 years old and still alive and doing great that's sisu but  SAP do they have sisu

ABAP is a DSL (Domain Specific Language) optimized for developing business applications (think screw driver). Java is a general purpose language designed to address a broader range of applications (think Swiss Army knife). ABAP is vey good at one thing, Java  has a broader range of applications and is pretty good at some things and not very good at others.

ABAP has been the victim of the fashion game - developers jumping from language to language to "stay relevant" and keep their cv's looking trendy. And SAP themselves seem to have got sucked into this game.

ABAP has come a cropper when it extended itself into the territory more suited to a general purpose language (e.g. PI). Similarly Java didn't look so great when used for line of business application such as SRM where a language like ABAP is a better fit.

HANA looks like it has the potential of becoming another honey trap. While there is a good case to push some functionality into the database (to improve performance and reduce the returned dataset) going overboard on push down doesn't look like good design to me, And JavaScript as a business application DSL? Given its origins I'm not convinced.

ABAP will stick around for the same reason as COBOL. It's a good tool for a particular type of job and a good engineer will always choose the right tool for the job - not the shiniest. 

So my advice would be learn what the tools are good at, decide what type of work you want to do and choose the right tool for the work at hand. Tool hopping may help in terms of understanding what is possible but it doesn't encourage a deep understanding. Better to accept going out of fashion so that when the dust settles and business starts to look beyond the surface you have the advantage of some substance behind your cv.

You never know - we might even end up with some better engineered business applications as a result.

ssimsekler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Let's check what is happening around ABAP based on what SAP says, e.g. from SAP TechEd 2015.

ABAP Platform seems to be still a significant part of the general  picture to be the application platform for S/4HANA. SAP says "Continuous invest in ABAP programming language" and places ABAP platform (NW) as the layer between UI (Fiori) and DB (HANA).

Recent changes in ABAP language and the new ABAP platform features are clear signs of future investment tendency:

- New application frameworks (SADL, BOPF)

- ABAP Messaging Channel / Push Channel

- ABAP CDS

- Native TCP/IP support

- ABAP managed code pushdown for SAP HANA

For the recent changes in ABAP language, you can check 's blog series.

As a note, I believe the boundary between being an application (API) developer and being a UI developer will be more distinctive.

Finally, I would second the suggestion about learning (or at least getting familiar with) JavaScript and maybe some other web technologies.

So, "long live ABAP!".

*-- Serdar

Former Member
0 Kudos

when this post publish i fully support abap, even i ask similar question in bangalore teched 2008. in 2008 java is more popular(CE release) in SAP .Later after sun microsystem was accrued by oracle,sap reduce java usage..sap always support its child (abap) but now again java influence is more in hanas4. job market for abap is also dull??? Last year SAP bought Hybris which is fully java based.they also integrating hybris with sap, now i feel we have selected wrong field? i already started working in j2ee...

0 Kudos

I would like to quote a response from Thomas Zloch on similar question

"Who cares at all, since the world has already ended in 2012"

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.