cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare different ways of customize Web Dynpro ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm new to WDA and now in a project upgrading to SRM7. When we want to customize the screen such as remove or disable an UI element, I found that there are four possible ways:

1. Enhancement Implementation of WDC - remove UI element

2. Component Configuration - set invisible of UI element

3. Class enhancement - insert Pre-exit or Post-exit of method to set UI element property visible to abap_false

4. Method enhancement - add coding in enhancement to set UI element property visible to abap_false

Can anyone compare above 4 approaches and what is the pros and cons? Thanks.

Regards,

Donald

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Donald,

I have used Component Configurations, I feel it is better since you can switch on/off the features without much of coding.

You can enable a disabled feature in furture.

Regards,

Mayank

Former Member
0 Kudos

All the other ways require you to do extra coding, which is again the same that you will do with component configurations.

Component Configuration will be easier for anyone else to maintain by anyone else.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion also component configuration would be the best approach as it requires no coding,

If we have a change in rendering logic then we can use other options..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mayank and Manas,

Thanks for your replies.

1. Enhancement Implementation also does not need coding to remove an UI element, is there any advantage of using Component Configuration?

2. In case I need to customize several things on a same WDC which including switch off UI elements and some coding to a new feature, should I:

- use only Enhancement Implementation or class/method enhancement; or

- use Component Configuration to switch off UI element + above enhancement for the new feature

Regards,

Donald

Former Member
0 Kudos

After working sometime on WDA, I would like to add comment / reply to my own questions:

1. Enhancement Implementation also does not need coding to remove an UI element, is there any advantage of using Component Configuration?

In many ways, I found that Component Configuration is more error-proof then using enhancement to remove UI elements. It was because in some cases when action/ method refer to the removed UI elements, there will be short dump caused by referring null object. I will use enhancement to remove UI element only when it cannot be set invisible in Component Configuration.

2. In case I need to customize several things on a same WDC which including switch off UI elements and some coding to a new feature, should I:

- use only Enhancement Implementation or class/method enhancement; or

- use Component Configuration to switch off UI element + above enhancement for the new feature

I will go for "use Component Configuration to switch off UI element + above enhancement for the new feature" now.

Regards,

Donald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone suggest me, what do you mean by the terminology switch off UI element ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It should be "remove element", i.e. in enhancement, locate the UI element in view layout and then right-click to select "remove element".

Answers (0)