cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring online consistent backup wihout log files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I'm faced with a situation where I've taken an online consistent backup of my database ( Oracle 10g/AIX 5.3). I've then deleted the sapbackup folder during one of the system refresh activities immediately thereafter. (there goes my .anf and backSID.log)

Now there is a need to restore this backup. (this was backedup usig TSM -just for info) Is it possible to restore the backup from the tape..... Has someone faced such a situation and come out of it.....pls advice me accordingly....desparately seeking answers from the community.

If someone can help on this....it would be great.

Regards

Aliila

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've then deleted the sapbackup folder during one of the system refresh activities 
immediately thereafter. (there goes my .anf and backSID.log)

The Backup performed using BRBACKUP/BRARCHIVE will also write some files like init<dbsid>.ora, init<dbsid>.sap, *.anf, space<dbsid>.log, arch<dbsid>.log and back<sid>.log files along with that Online/Archive Backup into Backup Tape.

You can restore those files from Tape to their locations and perform restoration using the following command:

brrestore -m full -b <bkp_log_file> -c

where bkp_log_file=*.anf file

Please refer this [reference document|http://www.basisconsultant.com/component/remository/Sytem-Copy-Guides/Homogeneous-System-Copy-using-OnlineandOffline-Backup/] to perform such DB Restore for SAP System.

Regards,

Bhavik G. shroff

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Aliila,

> ... I've taken an online consistent backup of my database ( Oracle 10g/AIX 5.3)

I hope you have also run an archive log backup run after your online backup or you still have these archive logs (or maybe only online redo logs) that were produced while the only backup was running .. if not you are lost.

> Now there is a need to restore this backup. (this was backedup usig TSM -just for info)

Ok, but which software of TSM was used? Tivoli Data Protection for mySAP (backint)?

Did you use RMAN for backups or just the simple "file copy" with TDP for mySAP?

> Is it possible to restore the backup from the tape

Sure .. nearly anything is possible with TSM, but we need more information )

Regards

Stefan

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stefan, he took an online consistent backup, most probably with backup type online_cons with brbackup, so, he has the minimum offline redologs in his backup.

Aliila, read SAP note 14004.