Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process Controlled Workflows VS Applicaiton Enabled Workflows-What to chose

Former Member
0 Kudos

G'Day All,

We are upgrading from SRM5.0 to SRM7.0

There are these bespoke shopping cart approval workflows developed previously. I have to do some sort of assessment to include

1) Why would we go for PCWs instead of just migrating the old ones in SRM 7.0 as business is pretty happy with the functionality they have got and are not interested in revising the workflow processes. Answer : Application enabled workflows are in maintainence mode so newer functionality would be delivered using PCWs.( is there any other justification ? )

2) Would we be able to map the existing workflow process to PCWs, here i need some pointers. I understand the PCWs are based on BRF though i don't know much about BRF( updating myself ). The key question i have is, whatever is there in bespoke workflow templates would i be able to replicate that using this i.e. a different technology. Since my exposure to either PCWs or BRF is not great so as a general rule i am asking, is it possible or are there any sort of technical limitations on what you can and what you can't do using PCWs which you could design using a normal workflow template?

I am sure this would be a common analysis which many of you might have done or are doing if you are involved in an upgrade.

An Interesting Fact : There is no documentation available on existing SRM 5.0 workflows as what differently they have done to standard. The only thing i know at this stage is they have a bespoke level 1 template which call different standard templates for n level approval process. The apporval process( agent determination ) is based purely on custom logic. I am not that worried about the agent determination as i know i could get that as rule evaluation in BRF. The crux for me is to understand how BRFcontrols or connects to workflow templates in this particular case and what permutation conbinations are possible.

So, i want to have a discussion on this and if possible some insight on all this new PCWs.

Hope to see some valuable comments.

Regards

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please note SRM 7.0 supports both Application-Controlled Workflow and Process-Controlled Workflow.

So you have a choice which workflow fits your company.

Guideline:

Application-Controlled Workflow - for upgrade customer

Process-Controlled Workflow - for new customer

> business is pretty happy with the functionality they have got

I would select Application-Controlled Workflow in this case.

It is all about TCO.

SAP Business Workflow(Graphical Editor, Container, Binding) knowledge is not required for Process-Controlled Workflow.

Process-Controlled Workflow: Application Consultant or ABAP consultant can handle it. ( Lower TCO and limited workflow functions )

+ Table style process level definition - non-technical

+ Script base rule condition - little technical

+ ABAP base agent determination - technical

Application-Controlled Workflow: Workflow consultant is required ( Higher TCO and full workflow functions )

+ Workflow custom template - very technical

+ Start Condition - little technical

+ ABAP base approval steps - technical

+ ABAP base agent determination - technical

Regards,

Masa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Massa,

Thanks for your reply, i understand this but there are two things i am interested in, in what way the future functionality be delivered in, it should not be the csae that after 3 years using application enabled workflow should keep us deprived of new features.

The second thing i am interested is to understand the limitations of PCWs wrt AEWs. As you yourself mentioned that PCWs are limited in features, i would want to know what all you cannot do in PCWs.

Thanks for your help.

-Praveen

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should not change workflow template in Process-Controlled Workflow. That means you can not use advanced technics in Business Workflow level, like deadline modeling, parallel branch, sendmail task, user decision, form, etc.

Regards,

Masa

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone:

My question is the following.

We will implement SRM 7.01 with Process Controlled Workflow.

However in the manual is the following note:

Note: Even if you decide to use Process-Controlled Workflow in general,

there are a few workflows still on the old technology:

WS10400022 . Contract Alert Workflow

WS10000192 - Approval Workflow for Internal Users

WS10000209 - Approval workflow for new bidder/supplier

WS10000093/WS10000100 -Procurement Card Approval

Probably We will required some of this.

My question is if we are planning to configure process and application the correct strategy will be:

1. Start the configuration with the application controlled workflow and then

2. Follow with the change of the configuration application to process controlled workflow

3. And configure the workflowu2019s in process.

u2022 Is there any problem when if we change the check application to process? Are there any chance that we loss the configuration?

u2022 Is there any problem in the functionality that both kinds of workflow (application-process) work at the same time?

u2022 If is possible to make change or maintenance of the application workflow?

Thanksu2019 a lot for all the help

Best Regards