cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous Database copy without tape restoration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have AIX 5.3 servers with Oracle as databse. I am supposed to do database copy on a new server from an already existing server. However there ios no tape connectivity to that server. But both the servers are on same SAN. How is it possible to do database copy. Both would be same OS and same Database. Please tell me what are the steps to be taken for database copy.

Regards,

Priya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ask your SAN admin. he can probably copy SAN partitions to a new one using technology such as Flash copy.

This only takes a few minutes

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have AIX 5.3 servers with Oracle as databse. I am supposed to do database copy on a new server from an already existing server. However there ios no tape connectivity to that server. But both the servers are on same SAN. How is it possible to do database copy. Both would be same OS and same Database. Please tell me what are the steps to be taken for database copy.

You could

- backup to disk and copy the files to the new machine

- backup to disk and present the files on the SAN to the new machine

- use a SAP copy mechanism to get the files to the new machines

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey thanks Markus!!

Can you tell me the above steps in details or can you provide some links or documents for the same which explains thes steps in details.

Regards,

Priya

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do the following:

1. Take Latest Offline/Online Oracle DB Backup of that Source System, from which you want to copy DB.

2. Copy that Offline/Online Oracle DB Backup Fille and Backup log file (*.anf) of that Source System to the Target System, on its free available local disk space.

3. Perform Homogeneous System Copy using Oracle DB Restore method:

3.1 Restore Target Oracle DB using that Source Oracle DB with the help of BRRESTORE command.

3.2 Backup Control Files from Source System and Change it according to the Target System directory structure before applying to to Target System.

3.3 Perform Recovery using available Offline redo-log files (if you have restored Online Backup)

All above mentioned steps are well described in this useful document "[Homogeneous System Copy using Online/Offline Database Backup|http://www.basisconsultant.com/component/remository/Sytem-Copy-Guides/Homogeneous-System-Copy-using-OnlineandOffline-Backup/]" with proper understanding. Download it with simple registration and Please read it carefully and follow the steps mentioned in that guide.

Upon error, post your message.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff