cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration Plan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Currently we are using mySAP ECC5.0 with Oracle database on windows Itanium IA 64 Bit wipor netpower server since last four years . Our hardware is obsolete , going to purchase new hardware on UNIX Plateform.

1. we want to migrate windows to unix just becuase of Performance issue . Is it ok to migrate ?

2. is this the best option for us ?

3. planning to purchase IBM P series JS22 or HP BL890c . which one is good ? our saps requirement is 4000 and in future it will be max 6-7k for next four five years .

4. what kind of problem we can face ? we have only abap stack with 120 gb oracle database .

pl. advice.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would stay with Windows. Why change? Unix is not really better than Windows. This is a myth.

Windows is now a stable solution. I even find it more stable than some Unix implementation.

So, easy solution for you: Stick with Windows.

but... I would go away from IA64 and switch to AMD64 processors.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I would stay with Windows. Why change? Unix is not really better than Windows. This is a myth.

> Windows is now a stable solution. I even find it more stable than some Unix implementation.

I know both sides (pretty well) and Windows is not far near as flexible as any Unix solution. However, this depends always on what you really want and need and, of course, it's a matter of education and in-house knowledge.

Starting with Windows 2008 you might be right though there are still glitches and issues (just search for new notes in BC-OP-NT), I still don't know how often I read here on the forums "reboot and see if the problem persist" solutions.

If you ever tried to deal with Kerberos in a heterogeneous grown (Unix/Windows 2000/windows 2003) environment you'll find out that not everything is a easy and as good as it appears in MSCA classes.

> So, easy solution for you: Stick with Windows.

I really never understood why one chooses a monolithic unflexible OS (Windows) and then on top the most configurable and flexible database system existing (Oracle).

You ever thought about why VMware is so successful? Because there was no real HA for Windows available as less as a stock Windows server 2003 is not even able to backup itself so it can be recovered to an identical state (try that in an AD domain and you'll have fun). VMWare puts exactly this layer between so you can "switch" and move Windows around servers without any issues.

If they chose they want to go for Unix (using AIX' LPARs or HP-UX HPVM) then I'd let them take their path.

Everyone has his own preference

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. we want to migrate windows to unix just becuase of Performance issue . Is it ok to migrate ?

Technically there's no problem in migrating to a different OS, the question is, why you think that OS A is better on the same hardware than OS B.

> 2. is this the best option for us ?

Who should know that? You have "Unix" knowledge? (where Unix is what? HP-UX? Linux?)

> 3. planning to purchase IBM P series JS22 or HP BL890c . which one is good ? our saps requirement is 4000 and in future it will be max 6-7k for next four five years .

Same here, we don't know.

> 4. what kind of problem we can face ? we have only abap stack with 120 gb oracle database .

Windows is a Little Endian platform, HP-UX is Big Endian, if you transfer binary data the target system must be aware of that. If you have self written programs you have to make sure you don't use "drive letters" (that's something that does not exist on Unix/Linux).

Please read

http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

--> FAQ

If you migrate to another operating system you must have a certified migration consultant on-site who does the migration. If you do it on your own you loose support for problems during the migration and for the target system.

Markus