cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the requirement of Oracle knowledge in learning SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am attending Oracle in parallel with SAP-ABAP. But now-a-days I am not getting much time to attend Oracle.

Sir/Madam can you tell me to how much extent we need to know Oracle to become a good abaper.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Venkat,

it depends on your definition of a "good ABAPer".

In my opinion there are 2 types of ABAPer:

1) The "functional" ABAPer

These guys can extend, add, maintain and develop code/functions combined with a huge module know-how for the business needs, but they use a database just as a data store without knowing the "power" and "possibilities" of it.

2) The "technical" ABAPer

These guys can extend, add, maintain and develop code/functions with less module know-how. So the functional development would take much more time than by a "functional" one. The written code is high-performance and is designed to handle the amount data smoothly regarding to performance, memory usage, etc.

In my ABAP times (round about 9 years ago .. oh man i am getting old), i was one of the "functional ABAPer" and used the database just as a data store.

Today i think you should have one "functional" ABAPer and one experienced dba with ABAP (and DBSL) know-how in your team to get the best result. It is nearly impossible to be up-to-date on oracle database level for a ABAPer, because it changes so fast (optimizer behavior, new features, etc.).

I listen to discussions of ABAPers who think they can tune SQL code with their "old database" know-how. (a classic one is still the order of tables in a sql statement to get a "good" execution plan - if these guys would know that the RULE based optimizer isn't in the game anymore)

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lets try the SAP on Oracle forum for a mix (rather than just ABAP General).

Most good "basis" folks (DB, OS, networks, applications) know some ABAP in the SAP world, so you will have better luck here.

Thread moved...

Cheers,

Julius

ps: If it is a Career related question, then let me know and I will move it to the Career Center. Please do not cross-post!

faisal_altaf2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Venkat

Welcome to SCN

You are not at right place to ask the Question Like this.

Thanks and Regards,

Faisal