cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAS 7.2? road map question

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand the recommendation regading dual stack that it is to be considered the (rare?) exception rather than the rule.

Currently we have a dual-stack (WAS 6.4) that is supporting custom ABAP and Java development. We also have needs to get to the more recent versions of the JDK that only CE 7.1 supports to run some 3rd party apps.

I was under the impression that a WAS 7.2 version was going into ramp-up last year that would be a potential upgrade target from WAS 6.4, but all I'm seeing in the ramp-up list is CE 7.2, which I assume only supports the AS Java scenario.

What is the 2 year outlook for upgraded versions of WAS that support AS ABAP? Is there an upgrade path from a WAS 6.4 dual-stack to 7.x? What other considerations should we take into account for upgrading from WAS 6.4 dual stack?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member66264
Contributor
0 Kudos

that's correct, dual stack becomes the exception ( for PI , MI, and the existing sytems)

Also the JDK/JVM strategy is changing, but not much detail is available for the moment... we have to be patient. the VMC in abap is a first step on running in abap ( Note 844816 - Information for Upgrade from IPC 4.0 to SAP AP 7.00) i would not be surprised if this becomes the "standard".

You should be able to upgrade from 6.40 to 7.XX in dualstack, but at the same time SAP is busy with a tool to "easily' split ABAP from java, I would not reco do to massive upgrades now.

I think more will become clear in the comming weeks, some things are running ahead ( CE, PI, MI, ...) soon 7.2 should be there for all ( but i have no official information on that)

Rgds

Nico