cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading multiple rulesets?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've done a lot of work on CC5.1, starting with the standard ruleset, tweaking it to our requirements and getting it all approved. Then the NetWeaver system died (long story, not relevant here) and while installing its replacement we decided to upgrade to RAR 5.3 - we were planning to do that anyway sometime. I'd like to load both the standard 5.3 ruleset and our old, customised 5.1 ruleset so we can compare them but I don't see an easy way to do that. The "ruleset" concept in RAR is associated with the "risk" and the risk names need to be unique, so this means I need to rename the risks in either the old or new sets if I'm going to load both. I'm happy to take the text files and edit them to change names, but I don't see an obvious automatic renaming rule to apply. Being restricted to 4 characters isn't helping at all!

Has anybody else ever done this? Is there an easy way I just haven't spotted yet? What am I missging?

Thanks,

Steve.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you want to load both the rulesets than yes even I don't see an easier way than editing the text files.

I'd suggest not to load the 5.3 standard text files at all.

Instead you can load your customized ruleset and update it with the new risks that you want to add.

Thank you,

Partha

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems there's no easy way, after a GRC upgrade, to load the old and new rulesets into the RAR system to compare them side-by-side. Surely this is something every GRC user wants to do after an upgrade? I'm thinking of installing yet another RAR system just to hold the ruleset from 5.3, so I can compare it easily to my previous 5.1 ruleset. There has to be a better way...

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is where what we're currently planning - continue with our old ruleset until we reach steady state running with 0 violations, and then look at the changes in the new ruleset. Although comparing the two rulesets isn't easy unless you can load both of them into a system. Do people usually do this by creating a new system to load the new rules?

I'm just surprised at how difficult it is to load both into one system to compare them...

Thanks,

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steve,

Configuring multiple rulesets in RAR 5.3 is quite easy, for example you can upload SAP delivered standard ruleset files and then upload your customized ruleset.

Just ensure to use different naming convention for your customized risks than what SAP delivers. You can load multiple rulesets against same system.

While doing comparison schedule different risk analysis jobs based on number of rulesets in your system. You can then compare the output to do any further tweaking.

Regards,

Amol

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Just ensure to use different naming convention for your customized risks than what SAP delivers.

>

That's exactly the problem. My ruleset from 5.1 uses risk names that clash with the ruleset from 5.3, because most of them are the original SAP risks. We have only a few custom risks.

It is easy enough to edit the text file to change the risk name, except that there're only 4 characters to use. If I could simply add "_51" or similar to the risk name, there'd be no problem. But with just 4-character names, how do I modify the old "B001" so it doesn't clash with the new "B001". Doing this for one or two risks is OK, but for hundreds I'd want an automatic rule and I don't see an obvious rule, given that the risk names don't stick to the same pattern.

This isn't a major problem, but I just think some more thought should have been put into the upgrade process. Surely people want to compare old and new rulesets, and not just stick to the one they started with years ago. An easy way of comparing rulesets would be a big help.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree Steve. There isn't any automatic way to compare the rulesets. In your case manual processing would be needed either to rename your 5.1 ruleset logic (risks/function..etc) or to rename SAP delivered ruleset logic before uploading.

You will have to ensure that function names too are different as no two risks can have same function combination. You may want to first draft a strategy for function, risk naming in excel and then use it as a reference for all future SOD logic changes. It would involve one time effort.

In my opinion customer shouldn't change/tweak SAP delivered logic (risks/functions) instead they should create a separate customized version if need arises. This way you don't run into risk of losing the customization if you mistakenly upload SAP delivered rule logic and also you get the flexibility of comparing your logic with SAP's for future changes.

Regards,

Amol

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> In my opinion customer shouldn't change/tweak SAP delivered logic (risks/functions) instead they should create a separate customized version if need arises. This way you don't run into risk of losing the customization if you mistakenly upload SAP delivered rule logic and also you get the flexibility of comparing your logic with SAP's for future changes.

>

Apart from deactivating SAP standard rules that aren't appropriate for us, we haven't changed any of the standard ones. Where necessary we've copied a standard one, changed it, and deactivated the original. This is true for both risks and functions.

Is it true that risks and functions with the same names in the 5.1 and 5.3 rulesets will be identical in all respects? If true, that would make things much easier, but I haven't read that guarantee anywhere. Can you point me to it? If not, is there a document that lists any changes to the rulesets? Again, I haven't seen that anywhere. I may have just not been looking in the right places.

Thanks,

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think that risks and functions with the same names in the 5.1 and 5.3 rulesets will be identical in all respects because functions may be updated with new transaction codes which may not be there in the previous versions. I think there is no easier way but to manually update via the Rule Architect.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steve,

What Partha suggested is correct. There is no guarantee that 5.1 and 5.3 risks will be same if they have same name. As the tcodes or even authorization objects may be changes. We did the same exercise here at my current client and we called it as 'Ruleset Redesign' and I had to create lots of functions and risks to keep our customization intact.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> I don't think that risks and functions with the same names in the 5.1 and 5.3 rulesets will be identical in all respects because functions may be updated with new transaction codes which may not be there in the previous versions.

That's what I was expecting, and why I really want to compare the 5.3 and 5.1 rulesets. It may be that the 5.3 version of B001 is better than the 5.1 version, but I'll never know unless I can compare them side by side. And it seems there's no easy way of doing that. I might end up installing another RAR system just to hold the 5.3 ruleset while I compare it. That seems as easy as any other way.

It all seems like a lot of effort, and something that surely every GRC user needs to go through when they upgrade. This process needs to be much easier.

Steve.