cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy from Production to Development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to copy production server to test system.

I am using ecc6.0 on windows 2003 64 bit OS with MS SQL Server Database.

I want to know that if there any technical change in objects in DEV after copy.

All the impacts on customization in DEV.

Both from BASIS and ABAP point of view.

Looking forward for ur responces.

Thanks in advance......

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Dhiraj

Your request is a little confusing.

Are you trying to restore your production data to a "Test" or QA System for testing purposes, or are you trying to refresh your Development system with a copy of Production?

If you are only restoring a QA system with Production data, all you will need to do is import any transports created and released in the Dev system after the date of the Production backup you're using for the QA restore.

If you are refreshing your Dev system, then you'll have to recreate all of the configuration after the Backup's date, but as Markus pointed out this isn't recommended.

Ken

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

after system copy, you will lose all versionning in your DEV system. It is not recommended to refresh a DEV system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Eric,

i want to know that what changes will appear when i will do that no technical lavel.

and how the versioning will be controlled after that?

Any other major change on basis lavel ?

dhiraj

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> i want to know that what changes will appear when i will do that no technical lavel.

you have a system identical to your production. Everything that has been in DEV is gone. Since we don't know what you're doing with your DEV system we can't tell.

> and how the versioning will be controlled after that?

It will start from scratch - as if you would start developing in your production system.

> Any other major change on basis lavel ?

Isn't that question antagonistic to the first one? Basis is usually pretty technical

You will have to re-setup your TMS.

Markus

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer this [SAP Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/151603] to get more information about the Standard System Copy procedure with MSSQL Database in SAP Landscape.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not looking for procedure.

I want to know that what changes may come when DEV is refreshed from PRD.

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

I want to copy production server to test system.

System or Client ?

I have suggested that System Copy procedure, if you want to refresh whole Test System.

I want to know that if there any technical change in objects in DEV after copy.
All the impacts on customization in DEV.

If you want to do [Client Copy|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/69/c24c4e4ba111d189750000e8322d00/frameset.htm] then all will depends on the [Client Copy Profile|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/99/0a2a887e2511d2a6250000e82deaaa/content.htm], which you will select for Client Copy.

Perform Test Run before performing actual Client Copy from DEV system to PRD, at low workload. Test Run will tell you about the missing gapes.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff