cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system copy from Prod to Test - ABAP+JAVA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I had to copy the netweaver 7.0 BI system from Prod to Test. When I discussed with the DBA, They did a restore of the database (SQL) from Prod and restored to Test. They did not rename the database etc. They used some utility which copied all the contents from the Prod Db to Test Db. They said that a "rename" of db or contents will not be required as a utility is used for copying the content.

Now, I can get the ABAP up and running. But, Java would not come up. When I checked internally through the logs, I can see that the configtool shows the "Prod server names" instead of the "Test server names" in cluster manager, it also shows the dispatcher ID and Server ID as the Production system. I can go behing all these and change the instance properties, bootstrap properties etc. But, I am concerned. Is this the right procedure? I am sure many of you have done system copies.

Can you please let me know if I do restore the db as said above, and then make the changes would be enough? Or should I have to go for some other strategy for a proper copying process???

Please help..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Did you follow the system copy guide? Before NW 7.10, one of the first steps to doing a system copy where Java is involved is to do a Java export of the source system. You're also required to install the database (using the DB specific copy option so it doesn't try to load a db dump) and application servers again. All of these are normal steps using the system copy tree in sapinst.

With ABAP only, you can get away with only copying the database. With Java, you must follow the steps in the system copy guide or you'll have the problems you're describing. This is supposed to be better in NW 7.10, but I have not done a system copy of a 7.10 system yet.

Brian

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a ton for the great answers. I gave up, and is going to look at the guide

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

They used some utility which copied all the contents from the Prod Db to Test Db.

??????

Please refer this [SAP Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/151603] to get more information about the System Copy procedure with MSSQL Database, along with this SAP Note 551915 - R/3 won't start after database restore or database copy.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Seriously, please see the comments Markus and I already made. You MUST use the system copy guide procedures to copy a NW 7.00 system that has Java.

Brian

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Can you please let me know if I do restore the db as said above, and then make the changes would be enough? Or should I have to go for some other strategy for a proper copying process???

copying only the database content in an ABAP + Java environment does not work.

Java stores SID, hostname and URIs in various local .properties files and in the database itself.

The only supported way of doing a database copy is to follow the official system copy guides. You can do a backup/restore of the database too but you must export the Java content to a file.

Note 757692 - Changing the hostname for J2EE Engine 6.40/7.0 installation

states:

<...>
This note should be applied only when the hostname of a machine
where the j2ee engine was already installed has changed. 
It does not replace the SAP official system copy procedure 
and *MUST NOT* be used for copying of an instance to another
host and/or with different SID.
<...>

Markus