Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective redundancy compression of the user menu - per user

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

We would like to activate the redundancy compression of the user's role menus in the session manager. Problem is that some users have our new roles with the new menu structure, and others have the old lot still...

In the new concept users have about 3 roles only and a "base" menu structure which is consistent 3 levels down. Folders are merged, transactions appear only once and empty ones disappear.. so we want to flick the switch in SSM_CUST.

The problem is that I can only find this "global" switch for it, which will impact all users at once - including those with old roles and labyrinth type menus.

Using compression within the individual role menus in PFCG already is not an option. Too chaotic.

Area menus are not an option anymore for us.

In a sample we discovered that many users have built their own favourites and discarded the old menus anyway, but not all of them

Is there any way to do the redundancy compression user specifically? Any other tricks you have used?

Cheers,

Julius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bernhard_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

as you already know, which of your users have already the new roles, you could set the switch 'Show first level' for them directly in table AGR_DATEU. teh corresponding key is BROWSER_OPT.

The ATTRIBUTES-field is a 10 characters field. Enter an 'X' at the 5th position to set the switch active.

'Show first level' switches off redundancy avoidance for that user only.

Disadvantage: at first level of his menu, the role names appear.

If this is acceptable for your users, this is the solution to switch off the avoidance user-specific. (The switch can be accessed, if a user menu is used at Menu->Extras->Settings. So each user can switch it on/off, if he does not like the setting you have set for him))

b.rgds, Bernhard

13 REPLIES 13

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

This is a real enticer ( I am dead sure you know it) - I convinced myself that i shouldnt reply, but couldnt hold myself for long

Honestly speaking, you have elimnated all possible answers that could have killed some time for all of us - so on first thoughts, there seems to be nothing but a dead end.

by the way, how is this for a scenario: I have users in my production system with full access (infact everyone is given SAP_ALL as a default authorizations, i am hand-in glove with the audit guys and al of us are happy and having fun". so you can rule out citing the audit reason as a base to remove SAP_ALL. This morning i face a problem with one user, he wants me to open customizing - i know i can do it, but when i open it , it shouldnt be accessible to other users. Opening it after office hours is not an option (i need to go home)....How can this be achieved, any thoughts on HOW?

sorry, for the space i took on the thread...........maybe there are interesting solutions coming your way

0 Kudos

Yep, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place here

An idea I had was to use 2 application servers who run with different config for the redundancy compression. One on, one off. As we switch the user to the new concept, we switch their logon group to the new app server.

Not sure yet whether it would be worth the hassle though nor whether basis will play along with it.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Julius,

Not sure of the technical complexity but, do you think creating a Z-Table with the menus and the user combination and then validitating this table by changing code for SSM2 would be an option?

0 Kudos

Using Tipex on the monitor screens to hide the folders or even 3D glasses to make them appear further away is more likely to find approval than modifying the session manager...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I am still a jack stud

_Jack Stud_

Shorter studs that support the ends of a header (king stud) - ("you know who i mean), which in turn supports the load of the studs above the opening

0 Kudos

Hi Shekar,

I was not aware of that expression but looked it up. Also I took note of the woodwork technique for next time I build a shelf. At least you did not directly call me a "plank"

I fear that there is no workaround to retro-fit this redundancy compression user specifically, except getting it "right-first-time". I was also looking into table USERS_SSM but it is all or nothing.

Hopefully I missed something and will leave it open for a while still, and would also be curious to know how many other consultants or companies use it (menu compression in the session manager) at all?

Cheers,

Julius

Bernhard_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

as you already know, which of your users have already the new roles, you could set the switch 'Show first level' for them directly in table AGR_DATEU. teh corresponding key is BROWSER_OPT.

The ATTRIBUTES-field is a 10 characters field. Enter an 'X' at the 5th position to set the switch active.

'Show first level' switches off redundancy avoidance for that user only.

Disadvantage: at first level of his menu, the role names appear.

If this is acceptable for your users, this is the solution to switch off the avoidance user-specific. (The switch can be accessed, if a user menu is used at Menu->Extras->Settings. So each user can switch it on/off, if he does not like the setting you have set for him))

b.rgds, Bernhard

0 Kudos

Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try later in the week.

I already discovered this "show first level" option when testing how the redundancy compression looks one folder level deeper than the current identical one of two roles and removes duplicate entries, leaving the second folder only with the "delta" of the entries.

I suspect that as long as there are no transactions entered already earlier than the second level of folders then it should be fine and not too disruptive for the other users!

> Disadvantage: at first level of his menu, the role names appear.

OMG!

There were a few attempts in the past to bundle roles into composites. I will have to test the affect of this on the users with many roles. There are even a few roles which only contain a transaction code each.

I will try it and let you know. Thanks again!

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Bernhard,

This "trick" works as you have described, but there are 2 major show stoppers for my scenario:

- The menu shows all role description texts, regardless of whether there are "visible" transactions in the role. Historically, there are a lot of "many chickens make lots of..." type roles using authorization defaults only, so these all appear.

- The descriptions are not meaningfully maintained. The system started off in 3.0G and has always been upgraded! It is now 7.00 Ehp3 Sp19. A symbolic role without profiles was used until now as if it were an "area menu". Favourites are like snowboarding...

I tested it in my lab system. I dont think the customer would let me do it in production anyway...

The redundancy compression would be less disruptive for sure, and I will try to analyze the impact on "delta" roles for the various projects over the years which do have menu entries. These are our main risk.

I will revert back with the results and the thread is still open for other ideas...

For those not familiar with this but wanting to look into it, the reference is SAP Note 203994 -> table SSM_CUST ID = CONDENSE_MENU = YES (very usefull setting for (well) designed (single) role concepts and menu usage, but to be treated with caution => not default)

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Feb 16, 2010 11:47 PM

0 Kudos

>

> For those not familiar with this but wanting to look into it, the reference is SAP Note 203994 -> table SSM_CUST ID = CONDENSE_MENU = YES (very usefull setting for (well) designed (single) role concepts and menu usage, but to be treated with caution => not default)

>

> Cheers,

> Julius

just to add to information you already provided, one could go to Extras==>Administrative Information in the Easy Access screen to read more on the user specific settings and SSM_CUST settings.

In the note 203994, the following is mentioned

"Even when the redundancy avoidance is active it is still possible that transactions exist several times within one role (activity group) but then the same transactions from different roles do no longer get into the user menu"

Just to share a experience, we had performance problems due to huge list of roles being displayed in the user menus and each role sometimes having the same trnsaction more than once - the roles that have duplicate transactions can be compressed using the whirlpool like icon in Additional activites of PFCG role change mode. I dont have a solution for a mass change scenario, but i am sure if we invest time, we can find it

Cheers,

0 Kudos

> In the note 203994, the following is mentioned

> "Even when the redundancy avoidance is active it is still possible that transactions exist several times within one role (activity group) but then the same transactions from different roles do no longer get into the user menu"

We don't have this problem. We took great care in designing and building the menus and their structure and had many meetings with the users to discuss the menu and how they currently use it, downloaded all their favourites to find good ideas and least disruptive common patterns, reconstructed transaction usage for a 6 month period to find the "hot spots", etc.

You won't find me hitting that wirlpool button in PFCG!

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I have searched around and tried a lot of approaches, and conclude that activating this during the implementation already is the best general solution if user role menus are to be used.

To retro-fit it you have to be brave and analyze the favourites and choose the most opportune moment to flick the switch.

Some tips are:

- Download SMEN_BUFFC regularly and run a windiff on the previous version to see who is active.

- Compare the used transactions in ST03N to visible AGR_TCODES entries and check the "surplus" for SMEN_BUFFC entries.

- Eliminate as many role assignments as possible beforehand, transfer menu items to "invisible" entries and delete the folder structures.

- Provide timely security support after the change (and as always, if you want to make headway with your efforts

Thread closed (for me).

Cheers and thanks to those who contributed ideas,

Julius

0 Kudos

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I wanted to post how we solved it as a very similar question turned up again, and I think many are not aware of this compression possibility and how it can make your roles more usable via the menu for the users,

Julius wrote: Area menus are not an option anymore for us.

Sorry to disagree with you Julius

We used area menus for the handfull of users who had not switched to favourites (old role concept) and also area menus for the new users for whom redundancy compression was needed for the new roles.

The trick is really that if something is missing in the menu or not easily accessible then the create favourites.

It would be a cool feature to load the session_manager menu for a user and "explode" the first node completely after the compression - that is often exactly what they have and want in the favourites.

Does anyone know of a way to do this or shall we create a "functionality wishlist" for it?

Cheers,

Julius