cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Mobile Devices and access to the database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all. I am fairly new to the MI 7.1 details, and have a question regarding shared devices. Because I am a novice, my question may not be clear so please feel free to ask any questions to bring things to light.

We are in a situation where more than one user will make use of a single device (laptop, handheld, etc.) at separate times. I am curious as to how this will work within the MAXDB database on the laptop. I know multiple users can be assigned to a single device, but what are the limitations as far as accessing the DB?

For example, if user A does their work, but doesn't synchronize is it possible for User B to access that information from the device, and if so, how do we set things up to identify who made the last change, etc. Also, how do we do this so that a generic user ID is not required - we want them to log into the device with their user ID, and via SSO access the mobile client. I know the SSO is possible, but what are the requirements for two users to share the database on a single device without causing conflicts, etc.?

If anyone can point to documentation on sharing devices that would also be greatly appreciated.

I hope this is clear, and I look forward to any input.

Cheers!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In 7.1 if two or more users share a device the actual modification will be done in the context of user who has synchronize the changes. so if you want to capture who has done the changes the user needs to sync before he logs out.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Rohit.

That makes it clear as far as the sync goes, but if the user A doesn't sync, will user B still be able to access the information recorded by User A?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Incase of 7.1 Mobile client , for every modification of data (create,delete,update) , a message is created and kept in queue so that whenever the device is synched with DOE, the data will be uploaded to DOE.

when a device is shared by multiple users, for eg.when user A modifies data , corresponding message is already created with modified user as user A and even if A does not sync and B makes changes even on the same record, a new message created with modified user as B and put in the queue. Hence clearly it could be figured who modified what.

Finally all these messages are uploaded to middleware whenever the device syncs(either user A or user B).

Both messages will flow down to BE from client and the latest state of data in the client will be reflected in BE if they are valid modifications.

In summary the same DB instance will be used by all users of a device and hence access to modified data by another user in the same device could be possible from the application.DB access will be using a generic userid but users could login with their own client local usernames,

I believe the app can also utilize some authorizations to restrict access of data across users as well..

Regards,

Liji

Answers (0)