Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIRSA GRC AC 6.0

clinton_jones2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I have heard that the new version of VIRSA GRC AC 6.0 requires Portal and in fact authentication is done through the portal; can anyone comment on direct me on that?

thanks

Clinton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

clinton_jones2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

ok it turns out that this customer may be beta testing it (6.0).

10 REPLIES 10

former_member366047
Contributor
0 Kudos

Clinton,

There has been no communication outside of SAP of what the next release of Access Control will look like, nor authentication methods.

If you have heard something, then it is only a rumor. There should be customer communication release later this year.

Thanks!

Ankur

SAP GRC RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would not know where to start listing all the stuff I have heard over the years...

Where did you hear this one?

Perhaps what they meant is that a browser is required as of 5.3 and not SAPGui... (you never know until you ask).

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Julius, what exactly do you mean? Does that mean that authentication is no longer done via the GUI with 5.3?

clinton_jones2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

A resource in our support group told me that an SAP customer wanted to know whether the use of the SAPGui goes away with 6.0, I am assuming that they may be either a RAMP-UP customer or are working closely with SAP development on the next version.

0 Kudos

I have a theory about what this could mean, but fear that it might cause more confusion...

Hopefully it has something to do with the "launch pad" and user friendliness.

Check with your support what they meant and please keep us posted!

Cheers,

Julius

clinton_jones2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

ok it turns out that this customer may be beta testing it (6.0).

0 Kudos

> it

Is "it" the SAP NW Business Client?

For SAPGui integration and authentication options you might also want to take a look at this thread:

Basically, front-end scripting and bolt-on utilities which (externally) do not respect API's and relational databases are not a sustainable investment for serious customers anymore.

A presentation of the UI only or even protocol used is a different topic unfortunately when decisions are made, but not by a long way the only aspect to consider for "sustainable software".

You need to use the provided (Business) Application Program Interfaces. You can also certify them then -> no API -> nothing to certify for the "new" front-end world.

I can imagine that the GRC suite (being what it is) would be a natural candidate for such (complete) API's to set a good example for the rest.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Clinton,

There is no 6.0 version of the software and there are no customers beta testing it.

Ankur

SAP GRC RIG

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Ankur has really said all there is to say about the initial question.

I'm closing this thread and suggest you open a new one if there are questions around SAP GUI or NWBC that you would like to have answered.

Frank.

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Clinton,

If you want to get latest news on SAP GUI family of products and future plans, check ;jsessionid=%28J2EE3417800%29ID1293242050DB01684843686633661261End

You will see that SAP GUI 7.20 for Windows is due to be relased in Q1/Q2 2010.

Since SAP GUI clearly has a future, perhaps there is some other reason why (if the rumour is true) that next release of GRC will not use GUI, but use Web interfaces instead ? It is easy to "jump to conclusions" so it might be best if you open a SAP message to get SAP to tell you about the chanes in GRC product. I am more familiar with the GUI and with authentication in GUI, but not so familiar with GRC AC functionality. It does make sense to me that a customer who is using SAP GUI and wants GRC AC, they would expect them to work with each other, so maybe your rumour about changes being made is just that and not to be concerned about ?

Thanks,

Tim