Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM Storage Unit Type Capacity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following situation:

In our warehouse, materials are received in kilograms and stored and transferred in barrels or containers.

For this reason we are using storage unit types "barrel" and "container".

For the barrels, we have a defined bin structure. Containers are stored in one large area with no restrictions to the number of containers.

For barrel storage we use placement strategy P (palletization). This because a maximum of 4 barrels can be placed in a bin. We created 4 bin sections per bin to hold the maximum of 4 storage units.

My question is this:

To check if a storage unit can be placed in a bin works fine. A maximum of 4 barrels is allowed in a barrel bin.

However, when converting a TR to a TO i want to check the entered quantity PER storage unit type.

For a barrel, a maximum of 250 kilograms is allowed. For containers, a maximum of 1500 kilograms is allowed. Material can be stored in barrels, as well as in containers.

How do i let the system check the allowed maximum quantity per storage unit type?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think this can be achieved by activating capacity check method (6 - Usage check based on material plus SUT).

These are the steps you need to perform to make this possible:

Configuration Changes:

1. Select the capacity check 6 for the required storage types

2. Give a Capacity Usage for each SUT (250 for Barrel and 1500 for Container)

Master Data:

3. Update the Storage Bins with Total Capacity (1000 for Bins where Barrels are stored)

4. Update the Material master with Capacity Usage in WM1 view (1/KG)

Hope this Helps

Regards

Baseer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but i can't seem to make it work like this.

- I activated capacity check 6 for barrel storage type

- I updated the barrel bins, max capacity 1000, to fit the maximum load of the 4 barrels

- I update the storage unit type (container 1500, barrel 250)

- I tried to edit the material master but it gives an error when i enter 1/KG. I can't use that unit of measure because it is the same as the base unit of measure. If i dont enter a unit, but only "1" in the capacity usage field, it still does not work.

What am i missing?

Thanks,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul

I can see why it is failing now.

For a storage type with Palletization strategy, it considers the capacity per bin and not per section. Therefore it will allow you to putaway 750KG in a single section of the bin (250 used by SUT totaling 1000 for the bin).

Your requirement is capacity check per SUT with a set maximum material quantity.

A different way of handling this is using capacity check method 2 for the storage type.

Then update your material master data (WM2 view) with Palletization data.

250 KG <Barrel SUT>

No update to storage bin masters is required.

A drawback of this strategy is you can work only with the one SUT for a material. System will not take in to consideration any data given in line 2 or 3 in Palletization Data. In other words you cannot restrict the max quantity for Containers for the same material.

Perhaps depending on the storage type characteristics of your container store, we may make some work around.

Let me know if you wish to discuss more.

Regards

Baseer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Baseer,

I configured the settings you suggested for the barrel storage type, and it works fine now!

That solves the problem for a great deal. The barrels are the most important for my client.

The container storage type has been configured with placement strategy C (open storage).

There are no specific requirements for the area, other than that a container placed there can contain 1500 kg max.

Barrels are also allowed there, in case the barrel storage type is full.

If there is no standard solution, can we use the user exit to configure capacity check 2 to look at SUT 2 and 3 in the material master also?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ofcourse you get the freedom of defining your own strategy in a user exit!

Good luck

Answers (0)