cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Improvement for WebDynpro Mobile?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dear Mobile folks,

we have in our current development some performance issues with the WD Mobile eSWT Container. We observe the rendering pixel by pixel at our mobile device that runs on WinMobile 6.5.

Do you have any hints, what do for a performance improvement?

THx and BR

Philipp

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Philipp,

are you running occasionally connected scenario?

There are some containers that are not that performant, but in general WD should be okay - if it comes to MI understandiing of performance. Which type of container are you experience these issues with?

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

we are currently using the SAP MI 7.1 SP8 PAT0002 eSWT Container for Web Dynpro Mobile.

The scenario is a OCA. Even the rendering of the standard views like Sync screen is very slow. To improve the performance a bit, we switched the trace off.

I try to find a way maybe to use an obfuscator for WD Mobile.

Do you have any exp in that?

BR Philipp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Philipp.

well, what confuses me here - you say even the normal rendering of standard rendering screen is pretty slow. Can you try the AWT container just to check the rendering there?

Obfuscator does not really help, cause it only shrinks some information, but does not really speed the machine up - and you need original coding what you do not have here.

The switching off of LOG makes absolutely sence, cause writing LOG is always a performance killer. But in standard out of the box installation the screens should be fast - what type of device are you using?

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

We are using a Workabout Pro G2 with Win Mobile 6.5.

Other solutions like .net and java are runnig way faster on this device.

I will check the awt container tomorrow and let you know.

THX and BR Philipp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which database do you use with your Mobile client?

Is it minDB or DB2e?

From my experience in looking for performance improvements for 7.1, the move to DB2e database did help...though if you are having issue with just the Sync app within the OCA client, that does not sound good....

I know I have worked with the SAP development and they have brought in a few very useful features for my company like caching the application and restart of OCA client at end of sync, most of our issues were with the OCA's memory management

can you determine if the lack of performance is a result of low memory or just CPU cannot render screens quickly?

the other suggestions I have seen on forum and given by SAP support is too limit the amount of objects in your views like transparent containers...

myself, I try to position text objects and buttons in the same location for as many views as possible so the OCA client does not have to do as much work in rendering, there was a noticeable improvement in doing that... might not be feasible for you...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

For our scenario doesn't work AWT. I checked with my development team.

Furhter I checked the configuration screens for connection settings etc.

They seem to work normal after few restart of the device.

Do you have maybe some programming "best practises"?

BR Philipp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes, AWT is a complete development. I just wanted to know a different thing:

you said even the usual MI screens are extremely slow. So I was wondering, if there is any difference if you install just the AWT version of MI7.1. You should not install the APP with it, cause as you said the MI screens are slow already and so the AWT screens should be slow as well - or even not, that I was wondering about.

As mentioned in one different answer: please check if you can run with DB2e. We have experience an extreme difference between DB2e and MinDB. We have about 1000Rows of MAster Data. The initial download on a mobile device with MI7.1 and MINdB was more then 4 hours(!!), but with sam einstallation and DB2e it was less then 10minutes.......

So DB2e is absolutely worth a try - even you have to pay some more license costs.

Beside that - there are some great books about WebDynpro development. These tell you anything you need for BestPRactice - but first thing is to have a stable foundation and therefore you need to make sure the persistence and the client is installed the propper way. And it confuses me still that the SyncScreen and the usual SETTINGS screen of MI7.1 has performance issue as well.

Just that was the reason for asking to install MI7.1 AWT client and try to do a single test there.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

The hint with DB2e worked. We have a performance im provement of nearly 20%. But the overall performance of the eSWT Container, Web Dynpro Rendering and DB accesses is not acceptable.

But thx for the hint!

BR Philipp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

After further analysis and discussions, we want to give the awt container a try. But is there a "How to Guide" or an tutorial how to develop an AWT app for mobile 7.1?

Thanks Philipp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

no, there is no guide that I know. But AWT is usually straight forward. Even it is not that easy, cause you have to build everything from scratch - even simple tables.

But as I mentioned earlier, I just was confused about the performance of the standard MI UI as you mentioned that you had issues there already.

On the other side - you could use the WD client and build your own ESWT app on top of that. This should work as well, if WD is to slow for your needs.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Philipp,

AWT container is deprecated for Mobile 7.1, the client just bring with this framework for migrations scenarios from MI 7.0. The official framework for develops is eSWT.

I understand when you say that the app performance is very low but you have to consider:

-Amount of data rows and tables

-Develop simple scenarios with few UI elements

Regards,

David Faustini

Former Member
0 Kudos

is the performance unacceptable on first execution or after extended usage?

we use the Motorola MC9090-S, 624mhz on WM5,

devices with 64MB memory were barely "acceptable"

we are trying to move to 128MB flash devices, our business scenario is continued 24x7 shift usage so after a few days the memory management was very poor and OCA client would crash

if you find the performance from first execution is "acceptable" then I would enable the "Restart client after Sync" option so on each sync, the client closes, releases memory and starts itself anew.

I am not sure if anything can be done about matching performance of other .Net or Java applications, there is a lot going on within the OCA framework to maintain data integrity...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with you Alan.

Regards,

David Faustini

Answers (0)