cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CheckDb and UpdateStats Failing After Oracle Patchset Upgrade to 10.2.0.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We performed Oracle patchset upgrade on one of our systems from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4. For performing the upgrade we made use of the standard tool Database Upgrade Assistant. However after the upgrade the CheckDB and UpdateStats are failing continuously due to access denied error. I have pasted the contents of the CheckDB log below:

Job started

Step 001 started (program RSDBAJOB, variant &0000000000081, user ID ADMCAP)

Execute logical command BRCONNECT On host sgsi23srmebq

Parameters: -u / -jid CHECK20100209105540 -c -f check

BR0801I BRCONNECT 7.00 (32)

BR0252E Function CreateFile() failed for 'D:\oracle\EBQ\102\database\spfileEBQ.ora' at location BrFileStatGet-2

BR0253E errno 5: Access is denied.

BR0273E Determination of file status for D:\oracle\EBQ\102\database\spfileEBQ.ora failed

BR0806I End of BRCONNECT processing: cecntncn.log2010-02-09 10.55.41

BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2010-02-09 10.55.41

BR0804I BRCONNECT terminated with errors

External program terminated with exit code 3

BRCONNECT returned error status E

Job finished

I found a SAP note which talks about this problem Note 1173159 (Refer Symptom 2) To correct this error this note suggests to run brconnect with SFP option which will set all the required authorizations.Has anyone faced this problem? If yes what measures did you take?

Thanks for a prompt reply.

Regards

Mitesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer this [SAP Note|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1292339] and apply the required patch as per this [SAP Note|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1137346].

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavik,

My problem got solved after I followed the recommendations as per SAP note 1173159. The CheckDb job got executed successfully. Thanks for your help and also for suggesting the SAP Note 1137346.

However I dont understand one thing. The SAP Note 1173159 tells that the problem does not occur if you perform the patchset upgrade manually without using Database Upgrade Assistant. DB upgrade assistant is a standard tool for performing upgrade.

So why does this error comes while using it? Is there some bug with the tool?

Kindly suggest.

Regards

Mitesh

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> However I dont understand one thing. The SAP Note 1173159 tells that the problem does not occur if you perform the patchset upgrade manually without using Database Upgrade Assistant. DB upgrade assistant is a standard tool for performing upgrade.

> So why does this error comes while using it? Is there some bug with the tool?

Yes.

Note 1292339 - 10.2: DBUA changes file access authorizations during upgrade

There's a patch available to avoid that - which has to be installed before you start the upgrade.

Markus

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per that SAP Note 1292339, It is due to Oracle Bug on windows platform.

The cause of the problem and its solution is already well described in that suggested SAP Note 1292339 in my last post.

During upgrade ,for security reason, the Database Upgrade Assistant remove file access authorizations for ORA_<SID>_DBA and ORA_<SID>_OPER users except Administrators and SYSTEM users.

So, after upgrade, BR*Tools no longer have access authorization for the Oracle database files/directories.

That was the reason, you were getting CreateFile() failed error while performing CheckDB job. Some other access related issues can come after performing such Upgrade, which are well described in that SAP Note 1292339.

For solution you need to apply p7592030_10204_WIN_GENERIC.zip patch before starting such upgrade.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mitesh,

Thanks for sharing solution.

Actually I am having same issue of update stats. on 11.2.0.2

I followed following steps:

1. Downloaded latest DBAtools SAR file.

2. Extracted in Kernel.

3. Given roles and permissions to files.

4. As per SAP Note 1173159 run command brconnect -u / -c -f check -SFP

5. Issue solved.

Thanks & Regards,

Ishan Sangai

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Regards

Mitesh