cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

" FAILED TO SAVE DOCUMENT" " NOT SUPPORTED"

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a Crystal Report that I have worked on for serveral hours and that I have saved throughout the day; however, when I try to save it now, I get the following error:

" FAILED TO SAVE DOCUMENT" I hit OK and then the following appears.

" NOT SUPPORTED"

I am not able to save it anywhere or rename it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a fairly old and common issue and there could be several reasons for it.  I personally experienced it while onsite with a client a few weeks ago and it was specifically due to losing network connectivity at some point while we were in the middle of working on a report.  Even though we regained network connectivity within a minute or so, the damage was done and there wasn't anything we could do to resolve the issue and successfully save the report.  We simply started saving continually through the day as we worked on reports in order to mitigate the issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Only one suggestion that I have read anywhere on the net sounded plausible. Someone said they get this message when they are on a wireless network and lose connection.

This error condition happened to me only after I put my computer into "Hibernate", leaving Crystal Reports running and connected to the databse on a network server. The end result would be the same as for the wireless network: a loss of connection to the open database.

My recommendation is to always exit from Crystal Reports before Hibernating. It sounds dumb, but it's the only thing I did that was different after years of trouble-free Crystal Reporting.

If it makes any difference to the SAP gurus looking into this problem, I was part-way through making a change to a report adding several sections that each contained a single formula that displayed its single global variable. I had not yet added the code to store the global variables, so did not want to save the report at that time, as it would have crashed if anyone ran the report before I got back to work the next day. And so instead of logging off for the evening, I would normally have just locked the computer overnight. But this once, I decided to do the "green" thing and save power by Hibernating. It can't be a coincidence that the problem only occurred after this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've got the same thing happening, been sitting here for half a day going through sub-reports and formulas/verifying databases, checking dependencies. It seems to be a fairly old problem, having seen questions about this going back to CR 8.5 right up until the current version. You should have thought that Business Objects/SAP would at least acknowledge this bug by now hey?

Glad I'll be moving away from CR soon!

0 Kudos

Hello,

Go back into each Formula and other options you have modified and verify each one using the X2 button. Do not close the warning box, fix the problem.

It may be also that someone else may have taken over the report, but likely something amiss in the report itself.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I am new to Crystal Reports 2008, as I have just recently downloaded the trial version. The program has a lot of great features but, unfortunately, so far my experience has not been a pleasant one. After downloading and installing the program, SP1 and then SP2, the program would crash when I tried to set up a printer. After some investigation I discovered a hot fix, FP2.4 which resolved that issue. I then proceeded to create a report and was able to save it without a problem. A few hours later I went back in to make some changes and then this error started appearing.

Is there any way to put the program into a debug mode, or enable some detailed logging? I ran options like, "Verify Database" and "Check Dependencies" but both say nothing is wrong. I am not able to "Save," "Save As," or "Export." The report I created is straight-forward, simple query, and there are nothing but basic margin settings, etc., defined.

Any suggestions, guidance would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos

Hello,

Typically when you get permission issue it's due to file system permissions, registry permissions or even WEB access. Open up Crystal Designer and check off the option for updates. Firewalls and anti-virus software can cause access issues also. This is not a CR issue but some permission problem and there can be many sources causing Cr to fail like this. Depending on the OS it can also be read/write permissions on the folder you are trying to save to.

Make sure you are a local PC administrator and have full rights to install software. If you have an IT department check with them to verify they have not pushed out Profile updates to modify your permissions, you may be an Administrator but IT may have altered the default permissions.

There are also install issues affected by DEP, Firewall and Anti-virus software, thus the warning about disabling all applications when installing. Quite often also doing a Repair install from Add/Remove programs will resolve issues, in your case Disconnect from the network by disabling your network card and then stop the firewall and and Anti-V then do a repair install.

Now test your report by saving it locally, do not save it to a network share and see if that works. If it does then start up your firewall and anti-V and then re-connect to your network and test again. If it now fails look at configuring those security suits to allow CR full access to the network, system resources and WEB.

Removed registry to clean up formatting:

Other tools are ProcessMonitor, add crw32.exe to the filter and then when you try to save the report watch the logs to see what Access Denied notes are logged. This should tell what you need to add to your system to get full access.

There are 1000's of users who do not have this problem and only a few who do so it's not likely a CR issue.

Thank you again

Don

Edited by: Don Williams on May 13, 2010 8:29 AM

0 Kudos

You could try adding these registry keys, not sure if they will capture anything for CR Designer:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\Logging]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\Logging\crpe.bkgrnd]

"Destinations"=dword:00000003

"Position"=dword:00000003

"LogErrorsOnly"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\Logging\crpe.diagnostics]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\Logging\crpe.functions]

Usual warnings about modifying the registry. To turn off logging set all values to "0". Logs should be in the windows \temp folder.

Create *.bat files with both setting to turn off/on the keys, easier than manually changing the each time.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am dealing with this issue also.  The suggestion to save the report locally doesn't work as I cannot save it anywhere at all.  The comment re it happening after the computer going into hibernation could explain it.  Hopefully a solution to this can be found as it doesn't occur with other applications I have used so seems to be only with Crystal.