cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wily Introscope and SMD Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am trying to install Wily Introscope 7.0. I have installed the enterprise manager and it is running with no errors. Where I am having difficulties is with the configuration of the agents. If I go to the /usr/sap/SMD folder on each monitored machine, I find the agent folder and I am able to start and stop the agent with no errors, however, when I try to connect to the agents via the enterprise manager at http://<hostname>.com/smd/admin it shows the agent as not running. What step am I missing in order to get them to successfully connect?

Thanks,

Justin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With respect to your issue 2 ... I don't know where the db wizard is, but if you've been registering your systems in SLD, go to TA DBACOCKPIT and press SLD System import. If you want to use central job calendar edit imported connections supplying db (not SAP!) admin user and password ... check connection info for correctness and save.

If you are interested in collecting db KPI run abap RSDBKPIMON using the connection names from DBACOCKPIT.

Ken

0 Kudos

Making good progress then.

My System Install Path (for example my BI Dev system is), e:\usr\sap\BW1 and the instance bath is to the message server of this, e.g. e:\usr\sap\BW1\DVEBMGS15

ITS Connection info was the server host of the BI System (I'm just using that as an example)

Full server hostname...

Protocol: http and Port 80xx (Instance number, in my case it was 15)

The instance number is also grey on mine (but I suspect this comes from putting in the correct sys install and instance path.

I haven't actually done SMSY config for Solman Diag agents, my SMSY is fed from the SLD and whilst my diag agents are in the SLD, I can't see them in SMSY (although they coud be but but I don't know wher to look).

Enjoy, have a good weekend.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for the help. I am getting closer on this. So my situation is now:

1. Enterprise Manager is installed and running properly on SLM system.

2. SMD agent is running properly on APO system.

3. SMD agent attached to enterprise manager and SLD via Agent Administration -> Agent Candidate Management screen

4. Diagnostic Systems setup wizard complete.

Where I now have a problem is the deployment of the Interscope Agent via the SMD/Admin Managed Systems setup wizard. I suspect the issue lies with the SMSY transaction because I see multiple instances of each system. For example, my APO system has 2 ABAP and 2 JAVA instances in this screen. None of the Java instances contain the correct server information and only 1 ABAP instance does. However, when I do navigate to the correct server, I find the message:

The SMD Agent '<server>' hasn't been found!

When I have verified in all other screens that the SMD agent is running on this server properly, why would the setup wizard not see it?

Thanks,

Justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Justin,

please check following for your APO system:

1. Log-on to your SLD system where your APO (ABAP and JAVA) send its data

2. If the provided systems information are wrong delete the ABAP and JAVA system in your SLD

3. Resend the data from ABAP (trx. rz70) and from JAVA via Visual Admin -> SLD Provider ->

4. Log-on to your Solution Manager go to SMSY and delete the APO system under systems and also under System Components -> Java -> SID of your APO system - Before you can delete it you need to unassigned it from the logical components.

5. Go to trx smsy_setup and schedule the data transfer from your SLD to SMSY ... Important is that you run it in Test Mode. On the next screen schedule it Immediately

6. After the Landscape fetch job finished you can remodel your APO system in SMSY. Please also verify the you save the FQDN for the server.

7. Please check the SMD agent on the Agent Admin page that the correct server name is assigned to it. If not click on the Full Host Name of the SMD agent and "Reset the server name"

8. Rerun the Setup Wizard for the managed system and assign first the server name to the agent. The SMD agent will now reboot.

9. After it you can go forward with the wizard.

Hope this helps

Best regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have resolved the above issue. I had to do the following:

1. Deregister the server for this agent in the Agent Administration page.

2. Restart the SMD Agent at OS level.

3. Restart the Java my SLM system.

4. Run the upgrader in the diagnostic system setup page.

5. Reassign the server to the agent via the managed system setup wizard.

Currently I have the following issue while trying to complete the managed system setup wizard:

1. The user smd_admin does not have proper authorization so the first 3 steps of the wizard fail

2. I receive the following warning regarding DBA Cockpit: The DB : <SID> on <DBHOST> (ORACLE/10.2.0.4.0) is not yet properly setup for DBA Cockpit. Please run the DB Monitoring Wizard for this system

Please advise

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hope this hint help. First of all I think you want to use root cause analysis for your JAVA system, right? Please check SAP Note 1365123 - Installation of Diagnostics Agents. In this note you will find an attachment Agent_Installation_Strategy.ppt - describe the installation strategy of SMD agents and all agent rules which you need to follow. So one part is to get RCA running: install a SMD agent per managed host. Also important are the system data in Solution Manager (SMSY). Normal you have an SLD in your landscape and connect the Solution Manager to it or use the SLD from Solution Manager. After you define the technical system in SMSY or via SOLMAN_SETUP ->Managed System Configuration you go to Diagnostics Setup. You access this via Diagnostics Workcenter or direct link http://solman_fqdn:<port>/smd . Next go to Managed System -> Setup Wizard -> Select your to managed system <SID> - > check that system is Diagnostics Relevant (if not click on the managed products and set the relevant product for diagnostic u2013 also verify the Landscape setting light are green u2013 this means the technical system is well defined in SMSY) -> click Setup <SID> Button -> on next screen you need to fill out all Java / Abap connection parameters (for the setup of Java systems you need a userid with j2ee admin rights) -> Please set the SMD agent in the right table u2013> Click on details arrow and then select the managed systemu2019s SMD agent and click on the set button. The SMD agent will now reboot wait until the agent is back -> Click on the Refresh button to see the status. Click Next and on the next screen you get a Summary of all setup steps -> Click on Setup. After the setup finished (all steps are green) click on quit. Now you can start with the setup of the Introscope Agent (on the left menu bar under application selection). On the selection screen select first your IS Enterprise Manager then the IS Agent settings the relevant system. In the table select the J2EE node for which want you setup the agent (this need to be done for each Server node u2013 the IS agent runs inside of the J2EE node per server) Then click on Setup Introscope Agent u2026 Button u2013> select the Autoprobe Directives and click the Apply button. If every steps doen you need to reboot your managed JAVA system. Now you are ready to use the RCA tools and also see data in the IS Enterprise Manager.

More information about setup and so on are on the SAP support page for Diagnostics:

http://service.sap.com/diagnsotics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Mike, but this was not the question I was asking. I have done everything you described. I have configured the RCA and my SMD Agent is connected to my Enterprise Manager on my Solution Manager system. My SLD is installed and working correctly. I was seeking specific configuration guidance for the questions above.

0 Kudos

I spent a lot of time trying to get my agents working correctly with various things, are we talking just about ABAP instances here (it's easier to get working rather than java). Anyway, run the script

smdsetup managingconf hostname:"<enterprise server here>" port:"<port #>" user:"<insert user>" pwd:"<insert>" servername:"<insert your servers hostname>"

Also to connect to SLD use this:

smdsetup sldconf hostname:"<SLD server>" port:"<SLD port>" user:"<SLDUSER>" pwd:"<insert pass here>"

When that's updated you should then be able to restart the DAA agent (are you getting more than one or two log files at the moment?), if it's working you'll generally get 4 of them.

C:\usr\sap\DAA\SMDA97\SMDAgent\log

You might also have issue with SAPosCOL, so make sure you've updated to Host Agent in the sapinst as well. I can't say enough how tricky it was to get this working (especially with Java) and different versions of various things like LMTOOLS, LMSERVICE in solman, etc.. but once it works it's great.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendation. I have run the script as you suggested and I no longer receive this error message. However, the SMD Agent is still not starting correctly. The log errors that I am seeing now are as follows:

[Thr 48003708688512] *** WARNING => Key profile parameters not set /usr/sap/SMD/J98/../SYS/profile/DEFAULT.PFL:

j2ee/scs/host=

j2ee/scs/system= [jcntrxx_mt.c 1459]

[Thr 48003708688512] *** WARNING => Can't open default profile [/usr/sap/SMD/J98/../SYS/profile/DEFAULT.PFL] for migration [jcntrxx_mt.c 1460]

[Thr 48003708688512] SigISetDefaultAction : default handling for signal 17

[Thr 48003708688512] JControlExecuteBootstrap: jcontrol runs in 6.20 compatible mode

[Thr 48003708688512] JControlExecuteBootstrap: jcontrol runs in 6.20 compatible mode

[Thr 1096542528] JControlRequestFunc: Thread 1096542528 started as listener thread for np messages.

[Thr 48003708688512] JControlIBuildProcessList: Maximum error count is set to 4

[Thr 48003708688512] [Node: SMDAgent] java home is set by profile parameter

Java Home: /opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142

[Thr 48003708688512] JStartupICheckFrameworkPackage: can't find framework package /usr/sap/SMD/J98/../exe/jvmx.jar

When I examine the DEFAULT.PFL file, it only contains a note stating that this file is not used during the startup process...

Also, I find the following error:

Feb 9, 2010 5:44:29 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Info [p4://****.com:port] Checking server availability...

Feb 9, 2010 5:44:44 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Error Failed to connect to SMD server - user: smd_admin

Feb 9, 2010 5:44:44 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Warning Connecting to SMD server p4://p4://****.com:port] failed - error counter: 0 - com.sap.engine.services.jndi.persistent.exceptions.NamingException: Exception while trying to get InitialContext. [Root exception is com.sap.engine.interfaces.cross.DestinationException: cannot establish connection with any of the available instances

Nested exceptions are:

com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.P4IOException: Cannot open connection on host: *** and port: ***^M

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos

Mmm, ok... check that the SMD agent is connected to the Enterprise Manager by going to this URL:

http://<host, e.g. Solution manager>:<your port, e.g. 5<instance #>00>/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tcsmdnavigation/StandaloneApp?APP_ID=ADMIN_AGENT

This should show you all your current SMD agents and their status (you might need to click the link to 'show offline agents', so do the following:

1) Make sure your agent is listed there - it should be now

2) Go to the Agent Connectivitiy tab (up the top)

3) Here it should show your server and have a tick int he box for the port it's using (if it's set to P4, change it to Message Server (not the SSL or HTTP ones) and click the 'apply' button that should appear.

4) Go back to the Agents tab

5) In the Full Host Name section, click on the server name and on the popup menu select 'reboot agent'

6) Wait for it to turn 'green' again and then check your logs, out of interest what log file are you looking at?

I'm also using a 1.4.2 JDK (revision 24 at the moment), but I don't think that's the issue.

On another note, using the URL above, if you click the Agent Candidates Management link (top right), you should check that your agents are connected properly to the SLD, on the SMD View tab you can also push the settings to your agent as well if they are incorrect.

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Davey,

I have checked this Agent Administration page and the only agents I see are "Offline Agents" from a previous installation. My newly installed agents do not appear. The log is showing that the agent continues cycling on the connection attempt with the SLM Enterprise Manager server as shown by the following log:

Feb 10, 2010 2:53:08 PM [Thread[main,5,main]] Info Starting SMDAgent ...

Feb 10, 2010 2:53:08 PM [Thread[main,5,main]] Info ===> Establishing connection to server 'p4://clspmslm.corp.cat.com:58200

Feb 10, 2010 2:53:10 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Info [p4://<host>:<port>] Checking server availability...

Feb 10, 2010 2:53:25 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Error Failed to connect to SMD server - user: smd_admin

Feb 10, 2010 2:53:25 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Warning Connecting to SMD server p4://<host>:<port>

failed - error counter: 0 - com.sap.engine.services.jndi.persistent.exceptions.NamingException: Exception while trying to get InitialContext. [Root exception is com.sap.engine.interfaces.cross.DestinationException: cannot establish connection with any of the available instances

Nested exceptions are:

com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.P4IOException: Cannot open connection on host: **.*.*.** and port: ****^M

]

Feb 10, 2010 2:53:35 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Info [p4://<host>:<port>] Checking server availability...

Feb 10, 2010 2:53:50 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Error Failed to connect to SMD server - user: smd_admin

Feb 10, 2010 2:53:50 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Warning Connecting to SMD server p4://<host>:<port> failed - error counter: 0 - com.sap.engine.services.jndi.persistent.exceptions.NamingException: Exception while trying to get InitialContext. [Root exception is com.sap.engine.interfaces.cross.DestinationException: cannot establish connection with any of the available instances

Nested exceptions are:

com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.P4IOException: Cannot open connection on host: **.*.*.** and port: *****^M

]

Feb 10, 2010 2:54:00 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Info [p4://<host>:<port>] Checking server availability...

Feb 10, 2010 2:54:15 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Error Failed to connect to SMD server - user: smd_admin

Feb 10, 2010 2:54:15 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Warning Connecting to SMD server p4://<host>:<port> failed - error counter: 0 - com.sap.engine.services.jndi.persistent.exceptions.NamingException: Exception while trying to get InitialContext. [Root exception is com.sap.engine.interfaces.cross.DestinationException: cannot establish connection with any of the available instances

Which port did you use to setup this connection? I originally set it up to use the default port of 6001 (which is what the Enterprise Manager uses), but changed it to the primary SLM gateway port with no success.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Justin

Edited by: Justin Straub on Feb 10, 2010 11:19 PM

0 Kudos

OK, my suggestion at this point then, is to uninstall the SMD agent and start again (since it would appear it worked previously), I've found this is sometimes the quickest way to get it to connect again the Agent Admin page. What I have found is on the last installation step in Sapinst, when asking for SLD, I've opted to choose no SLD and put in the appropriate connections to my solman system, which for reference uses port 50800 (i.e. 5<instance ID>00 (Enterprise manager is using port 6001 as default).

I'm also using the 7.11 agent (the older one the NW Installation media I had no end of trouble with), however I also had to update LMTools and LMService in the solman system to work with this (so could create more issues than it solves). Path to get the DAA agent is:

Support Packages and Patches - Entry by Application Group" SAP Technology Components" SAP SOLUTION MANAGER" SAP SOLUTION MANAGER 7.0 EHP 1" Entry by Component" Agents for managed systems

I found I also needed to install the Host Agent 7.11 to get this to work properly with SAPosCol.

rt Packages and Patches - Entry by Application Group" SAP Technology Components" SAP HOST AGENT" SAP HOST AGENT 7.11

So might be worth going for the later versions (save you upgrading later), I'm assuming you also have the latest entprise manager, 801 or something I think it is, but either way, I think an uninstall, reinstall will probably get you back to a good starting point, good luck...

0 Kudos

Is Enterprise Manager running on the same system as solution manager, could be that's where things are going wrong as well.. try the port you use for solman, i.e. 5xx00 and update using the SMDAgent script in early posts.

Edited by: Davey G on Feb 11, 2010 6:06 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I have fixed the connection issue with Solution Manager system. The SMD Agent is trying to connect via the P4 connection (which uses 5<sid><instance>04 port). Now I am having trouble with the Managed System Setup Wizard. How did you configure the following parameters:

System Install Path: I used... /usr/sap/SMD/

Instance Path: I used... /usr/sap/SMD/J98

However, it will not let me change the Instance Number parameter (it is grey). Does this need to be 98? Or should it be the APO system instance number?

Also, what configuration needs to be done in SMSY? I have not seen documentation for this anywhere, but have seen a couple references to needing a new configuration for the SMD system.

Thanks,

Justin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Run following script to configure your SMD agent to connect to SolMan via Message Server Port: /usr/sap/SMD/J98/script

./smdsetup.sh managingconf hostname:"sapms://solman dns server name" port:"message server port" user:"SMD_ADMIN" pwd:"<password>"

The instance number comes from the system data (technical system settings from SMSY). The system install path is the path where you installed the managed system like /usr/sap/<SID from the managed system>

The instance path is like /usr/sap/<SID>/J<xx> or JC<xx> (xx = the system number of your system).

Both path are from the managed system - don't set the path from SMD which you mentioned.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was an delay between my post and your question.

Edited by: Mike Rassbach on Feb 11, 2010 11:21 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

For configuration your SMSY you can use the SAP Solution Manager Landscape Setup Guide -> located under http://service.sap.com/diagnsotics -> Media Library

Former Member
0 Kudos

From the log file, I am seeing the following error:

Feb 8, 2010 2:52:56 PM [Thread[main,5,main]] Info ===> Establishing connection to server '[host is empty]' on port [port is empty]

Feb 8, 2010 2:52:56 PM [Thread[main,5,main]] Warning [SLDConfigurationLoader] No sld configuration data so SLD Registration is skipped

Feb 8, 2010 2:52:56 PM [Thread[Connector,5,main]] Fatal Cannot find sld guid to register the agent in passive mode and no credentials of managing system. The Agent will be stop because SLD configuration doesn't exist.

My SLD is functioning correctly, so this must be an issue with the way the SMD Agent is connecting to the SLD. Has anyone had this problem?