cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charts/images not showing in report viewer VS 2008 CR Basic

brad_hood
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, we currently have the same Visual Studio 2008 Crystal Reports Basic 2008 asp.net web application running on three servers. Two of these servers, which are development/uat, display images and/or graphs on reports in the crystal report viewer fine but the third, which is our production box, displays the red X for all charts/images. We have reviewed/updated the web.config file as per resources listed below. Here is our system configuration and what we have done/verified so far:

Windows Server 2003 32 bit Service Pack 2

IIS 6

Crystal Reports Basic Runtime for Visual Studio 2008

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

We have reviewed and verified the information provided by the u201CCrystal Report Viewers in Visual Studio .NET Dynamic Imagesu201D as it pertains to the section u201CUsing Crystal Reports Basic (version 10.5 bundled with Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2008)u201D.

We have verified the security settings on the C:\windows\temp folder across all three servers.

We have verified all setting in iis for the web site across all three servers.

We can see the u201C.pngu201D files getting created in the C:\windows\temp\ cr_tmp_image_ folder on the production server.

We have verified the image path is correct utilizing the CrystalImageHandler.aspx.

We have verified that the assemblies exist in the c:\widows\assembly folder

Exporting the reports as PDFs produces the charts and images fine so it appears to be a report viewer control issue.

This production box originally had a Visual Studio 2003 asp.net application on it using, we think, crystal report viewer 11.5 (CrystalDecisions.Web 11.5.3300.0), if that makes a differenceu2026

Right now we are at a loss, we have reviewed all help files we can locate on this issue and still have not been able to resolve. Any insight on something we may have missed or could try next would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The only thing I can think of at this time would be the registry (looks like you've done everything else...)

Look for these keys:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\10.5\Crystal Reports.

Look for ChartSupportPath, CommonFiles and Path.

Make sure you are not installing "aspnet_client/System_Web/2_0_50727/CrystalReportWebFormViewer4/..." files under "wwwroot\abc\". THis will not work with CR 10.5.

Also, give u201CIIS_WPGu201D access to the u201CSystemu201D user or u201CNetwork Serviceu201D (whichever account your app pool uses)

Ludek

brad_hood
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek. Thanks for the quick response but still no luck.

I checked the registry and the entries match one for one against our "control" server where the application is working.

I also checked the "IIS_WPG" access and that too were identical to our "control" server.

And our application is on a virtual directory on one of drives not in the wwwroot folderu2026

brad_hood
Explorer
0 Kudos

Does anyone know how to go about openeing a ticket with sap?

Thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

have you find the problem to this issue? i'm having the same problem.

thank yoy

brad_hood
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

No we have not had time to investigate further. We wound up pointing to one of our devlopment boxes, where the images are showing, in the meantime until we can look at in more detail...

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Create a new thread. We'll see if we can help you there.

Ludek

0 Kudos

Does anyone have an update on this? I too have the same issue. It's really frustrating since I know the report works fine on my development laptop, but publishing it on my production web server breaks all of the dynamic image links. My web server has Crystal Reports Basic Runtime for Visual Studio 2008, if that helps any.

If a new thread has been started for this issue please point me to it where I can keep tabs on it. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Apparently this is a real PITA between versions and whatnot. I know that CR XI R2 has support for dynamic images so I tried installing that runtime package on the web server and changed the IIS web.config file to reference the 11.5.3700.0 assemblies. This was after I saved the modified report on my laptop using my own local CR XI R2 install.

When then I tried to view the web reports it winds up erroring out, because there is also the CrystalDecisions.Web 10.5.3700.0 assembly on the web server.

It seems as if multiple versions of Crystal don't play well with one another. My laptop has VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed on it, and VS 2005 is integrated with CR XI R2 Developer. VS2008 is integrated with CR 10.5 Basic. On top of that I have third party programs which have been bundled with older CR runtime packages (8.5 for example). What a mess!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think you are correct. I have an image that has .NET 2005, .NET 2208, CR 10, CR XI r2 and CR 2008 and all work just fine.

Best thing to do is to have peek at these articles;

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a0437ea8-97d2-2b10-2795-c202a76a...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50aa68c0-82dd-2b10-42bf-e5502b45...

If these don't work, search the [notes|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/advancedsearch?cat=sdn_ossnotes&query=&adv=true] database. If that does not work, create a new forum thread, specific to your version of CR and your issue. If the issue can not be solved over the forum, you may have to create a phone case, but one bridge at a time. For, me it remains to be proven that this does not work. Until I am able to break it here, there will be no Technical Escalations to QA for fixes as I can not go to QA or R&D and tell them that it does not work.

Ludek

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. Actually I ran across those articles you linked and already tried the recommended steps. I believe you in your assertion that it can work and all co-exist. My complaint and frustration is the manual working around that is required in order to achieve this. Out of the box these solutions should work a lot cleaner than what is currently the case. I suppose that development tools are allowed to fall into this trap because it's assumed that developers are techies and can just figure it out. Imagine if the endusers we are creating these reports for were expected to follow suit?

In the interim I have abandoned the dynamic image links as provided out of the box in CR, and have worked around the matter differently in my reports. It works, is a bit ugly, but is the best I can do after spending roughly 6 hours trying to research and plug away to no avail...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

brad_hood
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I managed to resolve our issue with the images displaying as a red u201Cxu201D on our production server. Basically what I did was walk through IIS with the server that was displaying the images, the u201Cgoodu201D box, vs. the one that wasnu2019t, the u201Cbadu201D box. Here is what I changed/added:

The permissions of the default app pool on the u201Cbadu201D box, in IIS, was missing some accounts: u201CIIS_WPG (<servername>\IIS_WPG)u201D and u201CInternet Guest Account (<servername>\IUSER_<servername>)u201D. I added these with the same permissions as was on the u201Cgoodu201D box.

The next changes were done to the default app pool in properties -> home directory -> configuration. There was a bunch of extensions missing from the u201Cbadu201D box so I went through line by line and manually added using the u201Cgoodu201D box as a reference. Once done, I recycled the default app pool and the issue was resolved.

I hope this may help anyone else that may have a similar issue. Our set up: Widows Server 2003 SP2, IIS 6.0, .NET versions 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5 SP1 installed.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm experimenting exactly Brad's problem, but I can't show any image even on my dev box, so I don't have any working example to look at..

I use CR2008 with VS2008, my dev box is running Win 7 Pro and my production server is running Win2003Server

The only way I have to see an image is using the report designer..

Everytime I try to show the report in the web app, i can't see any image, only boxed red crosses

I checked all the things Brad checked, I can see the images in the crt_temp_servername folder, I read the article supplied by Ludek and I already did what is suggested, on my dev box I gave full access to IIS_IUSRS and IIS_WPG users to the temp folder under windows and under Users\<Username>\Appdata\local..

What else I'm missing?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the exact version of CR? In the CR Designer check Help | About.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

it's 12.2.6.567

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok. Good - the latest FP.

Confirm that a simple Win app works. You can use a saved data report and CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource and that is it.

Alternatively, rahter than using http inyour dev environment, use file system.

Next, confirm that you have the following direcotry structure;

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\2_0_50727\crystalreportviewers12

and

c:\program files\business objects\common\4.0\crystalreportviewers12

Next; In IIS, you should have crystalreportviewers12 virtual folder under your app pool. It should be pointing to c:\program files\business objects\common\4.0\crystalreportviewers12

Does all of the above check out?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek, all those are ok: the win app works good, and the paths are ok.

This is the piece of code I use to show the report, if it can help:

ReportDocument report = new ReportDocument();

report.Load( reportPath + NomeReport);

SetFormulas(report);

report.SetDataSource(DsReport);

SetCRWsubReportDatasource(report);

vwgCRViewer.ReportSource = report;

vwgCRViewer.DisplayGroupTree = false;

vwgCRViewer.DataBind();

vwgCRViewer.Update();

I tried with a very simple report, with no data, only text and an image

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since a win app works, more than likely you're looking at some sort of a permission issue. It most certainly is not anything to do with your code. See if the utility [Process Monitor|http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx] will tell yo anything. Once you have a ProcMon log, search for "Access Denied".

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Brad

Would you be able to provide the list of missing extensions of your default application pool from your bad box which you changed or the complete list from your good box. The situation you described is exactly as mine.

Thanks in advance

brad_hood
Explorer
0 Kudos

the correct path in IIS should be: default web site -> home directory -> configuration

here is the list.. hope it helps...

Cache ISAPI Extensions (checked)

Extension .ad -

executable: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Limit to: GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG

Script Engine (checked)

Verify that file exists (checked)

Extension .adprototype - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .asa - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .asax - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .ascx - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .ashx - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Verify that file exists (unchecked)

Extension .asmx - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .asp - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .aspx - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .axd - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .browser - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .cd - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .cdx - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .cer - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .compiled - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .config - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .cs - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .csproj - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .dd - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .exclude - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .idc - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\httpodbc.dll

Limit to: GET,POST

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .java - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .jsl - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .ldb - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .ldd - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .lddprototype - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .ldf - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .licx - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .master - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .mdb - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .mdf - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .msgx - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .refresh - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .rem - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .resource - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .resx - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .rules - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .sd - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .sdm - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .sdmDocument - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .shtm - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\ssinc.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .shtml - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\ssinc.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .sitemap - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .skin - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll\

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .soap - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .stm - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\ssinc.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .svc - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .vb - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .vbproj - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .vjsproj - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .vsdisco - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .webinfo - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

Extension .xoml - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll

Script Engine (checked)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A few ideas;

Make sure IIS is not set up to use framework 1.1

Run [Modules|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip] and compare dlls loading on one of the good servers and the server that gets the red x.

Run [Process Monitor|http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx] and see if it gives you any indication of what is going on

Run the [Charles|http://www.charlesproxy.com/download.php] utility and see if that gives you any clues.

Ludek