cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer file from MDMP system to Unicode system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are facing this problem for some weeks now and our basis team and myself are completely lost on this.

Recently we have installed the Polish language (in fact codepage 8859-2) via so called 'MDMP' on our 4.6C HR-system.

We did this because there is a need to enter special Polish characters in eg Employee names for Poland.

So far so good, the Polish characters can be entered and look just fine when loggon on in Language 'PL'.

But now, we need to send a file to our payroll partner (adp) and of course we need to keep the Polish characters along the way.

Our payroll partner's system is unicode at ECC6.0.

The first problem is, that the file (produced via abap program on sap server Unix HP) only looks good when you look at it via AL11 from within SAP, when logged on in Polish. I used the command "set locale language 'L'" in the abap program to set the language settings to Polish.

When I download the file to my PC or look at it from Unix, the Polish characters are rubbish.

After transferring the file to the payroll partner(encrypted and with sftp), the Polish characters also look like rubbish(even when logged in in Polish and using AL11) , and they do not succeed in loading the file on their end.

Does anyone have any experience or thought on this subject, I have spent days and days reading a lot of SAP Notes and other documents about this subject. I would appreciate any help, thanks !

Patrick.

Edited by: Patrick DHooge on Feb 8, 2010 11:23 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

have you got all necesary locales on all environments ?

We had similar problems with chinese and Japanese...

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark, but it's more a question of how to transfer/convert the data I think.

best regards,

Patrick.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is very good question.

Have you referred this [SAP Note 656350 - Master Data Transfer UNICODE <==> MDMP Systems with ALE|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/656350] along with [this Doc|https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/012003146900000239932003E/MDMP_Unicode_Transfer.zip] ?

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavik,

Thanks for the reply, we're not using ALE for this particular interface though I did look at the note.

best regards,

Patrick.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What you see is expected behaviour.

MDMP is a technology where the application server displaying characters "knows" that it's using a different locale than the default and hence displaying things correctly.

The problem you have is that an ASCII code in polish locale is not necessarily identical to the ASCII code in a different locale (e. g. English). To display the characters correctly in e. g. notepad you would need to use a polish Windows system (or a MUI installation where you can switch the locales).

You may be able to use sapiconv to convert the files to a Unicode format (see Note 752859 - sapiconv - a tool for converting the encoding of files) but basically the only clean way would be to upgrade your 4.6c system and migrate to Unicode.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

We are in the process of testing the conversion with sapiconv tool, hope it works.

best regards,

Patrick.