Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

MDM, PI and Data Services

Hi,

As it stands today, SAP delives PI content for MDM. However, SAP has also published a roadmap for MDM integration with BO Data Services. There are two main use cases for accessing MDM:

1. Direct call from Application: An example is that if you create a new vendor in your system, SAP calls a Data Services web service for data cleansing and MDM look up to ensure quality data and to avoid data duplication. So the link between ERP and MDM would be Data Services platform.

2. Data transfer: PI content is currently delivered for migrating data from application systems to MDM. So the link between ERP and MDM is PI.

Given that MDM is about data management, it does make sense to use Data Services as the data integration tool rather than PI. However, I have yet to see SAP roadmap on similar Data Services content which is already offered for PI. As there is a sweet spot between PI and DS whereby PI offers mass data transfer functions and DS offers synchronous web service calls, the lines between application and data integration platforms are blurred.

So my question is from an architecture point of view....does it make sense for an organization embarking on a long-term organizational restructuring program to keep application and data integration layers separate and develop own DS content for application systems? Or should the organization use pre-delivered PI content currently available, and migrate to Data Services content when available?

First option keeps the integration layers separate and results in a clean architecture. However, it also means significant investment by the organization to work on develop something which might be delivered by SAP in a year or two. Although it might also be possible to engage with SAP and do joint content development.

The second option is a more tactical approach and not as clean as I'd like...but gets the job done. So reduced investment in terms of content development, but more governance and architectural compliance headaches to ensure data quality while using multiple integration tools.

What are your views on this subject?

Thanks and regards,

Shehryar

Former Member

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question