cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP – PS Module cannot be configured to PMI-PMP guideline ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Folks I am totally novice/new to SAP PLM- PS module and one of your senior person said that SAP u2013 PS module is not worth to implement in our company. ( We have SAP but do not have SAP u2013 PLM)

One of our senior PMI-PMP said that It can do ONLY FEW things for Project Management ( WBD/Network diagram) and u201Ccould notu201D/ u201Cmay notu201D be configured to PMI-PMP guidelines.

It will require major customization (Programming) to follow the PMI- PMP guideline for project management.

It is very hard for me to believe that SAP PS Module cannot be configured to meet PMI u2013 PMP requirements.

SAP u2013 PS Module gurus can you please let me know if this is really true ?

Following are some details about our Project Management System that we have.

Thanks

Raj Patil

Currently in our company we have a Program and Project management system that is designed by a Project Management Institute certified Project Management Professional (PMI-PMP)

All his guideline are procedure based (Document based u2013 Word, Excel, Project). Following are few of the phases for a project right from idea generation to completion.

The following phases are referred to inventing a new product, improving existing product, cost saving opportunity by supplier / material/process change etc for Medical Device Product.

1) Idea Generation: List of project are gathered based on Current Product complaint , User Inputs , new technology, R&D engineer input , benchmarking etc. Anyone (R&D, Marketing, Quality Assurance, Operator etc) can submit a project idea in this phase.

2) Project categorization: These ideas are reviewed by group of subject matter experts and are given a project number.

3) DIR to DIS phase: Design Input Requirement (DIR) is customers voice ( what did customer exactly say) and Design Input Specification (DIS) is customer voice converted in to engineering/measurable terms.

4) Project Feasibility Phase : In this phase SWOT analysis ( strength, weakness , Opportunity , Threat), QFD (Quality Function Deployment) / House of Quality / benchmarking etc is done and ROI (return on Investment) calculation is done. These are provided in to spread sheet format to the management board.

5) Project Initiation: Project Selection (cost benefit analysis), project scope, high level risk, identify stakeholder complete project charter. WORD document. Then project charter approval sign off.

6) Project Planning : Detailed customer requirement , identify team member, create detailed WBS, and network diagram, detailed project risk , scope change management plan, mile stone report communication details for management board. Etc.

a. Project Integration Management

b. Project Scope Management

c. Project Time Management

d. Project Cost Management

e. Project Quality Management

f. Project Human Resource Management

g. Project Communications Management

h. Project Risk Management

i. Project Procurement Management

7) Executing the Project

8) Monitoring and Controlling the Project

9) Closing the Project

Etc etc.

CAN SAP-PS be configured ( Not Customized/Programmed) to follow the PMI PMP guideline ????

Can someone refer me to a case study / book or anything that I can show to our PMI-PMP that it can be done in SAP ( if in fact it is possible)

Edited by: rajPatil on Feb 6, 2010 7:18 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Kishore that hepls a lot

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

Yes.... Your business scenario can be perfectly mapped in SAP using combination of Investment Management & Project System modules.

Investment Management takes care of your first 4 steps.... i.e. Idea generation to Project Feasilbility & approval from Management. Appropriation request in Investment management fulfills your requirement of Pre investment analysis like Int. rate of return, Payback period, Net present value, Disc. cash flow rate & etc.

Remaining steps will be taken care by SAP Project system module.

As Investment Management & Project system modules are closely integrated, each & every step will reflect in both the module reports.

When it comes to PMI-PMP, SAP PS supports the concepts of Project Management principles & practices. Time, Cost, Quality, Resources & Procurement can be directly configured & used in Project System. SAP PS is closely integrated with all other modules, means integration with all the functions of the organization, Finance & Accounting, Procurement, Sales, Asset Management, Production & etc..

Communication & Risk can be monitored indirectly using SAP PS reports.

Conclusion is that.... SAP PS is in line with PMI-PMP.

Thanks

Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you can map your requirement in SAP PS.

You can map the entire life cycle of your project in SAP PS.

SAP PS is a module which is integrated with Logistics Modules and Accounting Modules.

Please refer the Best Business practices from SAP and go through the PLM Series 200..

Muzamil

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

all I will say that all business processes can be suitably mapped in SAP including PS (part of PLM) - the PMI process is just your requirement - this can be achieved uisng a combination of PS and process control - remember SAP is an ERP system to support the business.

I think it will be a good idea for you and your senior person to attend PLM200 which gives a process overview of PS and then you can decide for yourselves