cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing SAP local installatio to Domain installation without re-installing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

can anybody tell me how to convert a local instalation to domain installation without re-installing or using system copy option?

i seen in Installation they written a very short artical to just create user and user group, but they did nt mention anythign if we need to change anythign at OS files in USR folder.

I have a number of release

SAP 4.7 with MSSQL server 2005 on windows 2003 server 32 bit

SAP ECC 6 EHP4 with MSSQL 2005 on windows server 2003 64 bit

SAP ECC 5 with MSSQL 2005 on windows 2003 server 64 bit

Can anybody clarify on the same.

thanks

Mani

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will follow up soon and update the same.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> can anybody tell me how to convert a local instalation to domain installation without re-installing or using system copy option?

> i seen in Installation they written a very short artical to just create user and user group, but they did nt mention anythign if we need to change anythign at OS files in USR folder.

Windows stores users not in names but as GUIDs; those are unique. So even if you put the server into a domain and create the user with the same name it will get a different GUID. That GUID is Windows internally used to manage ACLs on files, on shares, on registry etc. You can, of course, manage that also by giving the users full access to everything but this can be a big security issue. On top come environment variables (which can of course also manually be adapted). There are also Windows permissions (policies) such as "logon as batch" or "lock memory" and others that need to be assigned manually.

On Windows the SAP system runs under SAPService<SID>. That user has no permissions to logon so you'd need to fiddle with registry hives to configure it properly.

If you know all this and you know what you're doing it's technically of course possible to migration from local installation to a domain but the only clean and supported way is doing a system copy. You can even leave the database files on the system so you don't need to do a restore.

Check

Note 1233320 - Domain migration for SAP system

Markus

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos