cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Backup of MaxDB using Database Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to MaxDB and Database Studio and I am trying to do my first backup of a MaxDB database using this tool.

I read some MaxDB documentation and choose to follow a "Backup and Restore How To" posted in an SAP blog.

But while trying to do it, some errors occured.

I created a Backup Template:

- Backup Type: COMPLETE DATA

- Device Type: FILE

- Device: a full path as "D:\SomeBackupFolder"

I then clicked on start for doing the backup. After a while, i got the following error message:

"An error occurred during the backup.

-903 Host file I/O error 3,Data backup failed Servertask Info: because Error in backup task occured Job 1 (Backup / Restore Medium Task) [executing] WaitingT184 Result=3700 Error in backup task occured, Error code 3700 "hostfile_error" Backupmedium #1 (D:\Backup_D1S) I/O Error Backup error occured, Error code 3700 "hostfile_error"

To start the backup correct the problem. Make the specified medium available and choose 'Start'."

Then when I came back for changing the Backup Template, another error message is displayed:

"Runtime environment error

1, OS error: 'No space left on device'"

And then, if I try to create a new Backup Template (as previous is not there anymore), I get again this error message.

I checked, and the first problem may be a problem of disk space in disk 😧 where I want my backup file to be saved. So here come my questions:

1. Is there a way to know before the backup how many space will require the backup file? Is this backup file going to be compressed? Am I on the right way thinking that the first error might be a problem of space in the destination device (D:\)?

2. Concerning the second error message, where are the backup templates saved? Anyone know which device are we talking about?

Any help would be appreciated very much. Thank you in advance.

Xavier Monnet.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

- Device: a full path as "D:\SomeBackupFolder"  

Append Backup File name in full Path.

e.g.

Device: a full path as "D:\SomeBackupFolder\SBD_COM_BKP_FILE"

1, OS error: 'No space left on device'"

Perform backup where the sufficient disk space is available to save backup file.

You can get the pre-info regarding the size of Backup from the Data-Area Usage for the Installed DB Instance.

Also, Please refer following SAP Notes to get more information.

[SAP Note 201390 - Database backup SAP DB Versions 7.1 to 7.5 (MaxDB)|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/201390]

[Note 1377148 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB backup/recovery|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1377148]

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your help and your useful links.

In fact, my problem was that my MaxDB is installed on a Linux server, and I was giving a Windows path into DatabaseStudio which is running on a Windows Server,

So then, the Windows path was interpreted as a filename in Linux server and stored in run environement. That was why I was then getting those "No space left on device" and getting a full db server.

Answers (0)