cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility to fetch all MII objects which uses a reference object in it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

Wondering if its feasible to create a utility to fetch all MII objects using a specific individual object. Let me explain in detail...Let's say we have an MII object an SQL query by Name SQL_TEST...now i would like to get the list of all MII objects which has a reference of object SQL_TEST.

Not sure if we have got any MII tables where these object values are stored. Appreciate ur thoughts on this...

thanx,

Gilmour

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all..!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Back for 11.5 I wrote a couple of "where used" transactions. The first one builds me a list of all the template types and searches through all the BLS transactions and shows me where / how each template are used. The second one searches through all IRPT, HTML, etc and finds instances of templates being used. It wasn't 100% but did a good job of building a cross reference document.

With 11.5, It this was all done with flat file parsing (BLS and templates are pretty easy, HTML is a little more challenging) I haven't altered this for 12.x being now housed in NW's database I don't think it would be that hard either, but I haven't looked.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How about just exporting the project zip and extracting it to disk - then use windows explorer to search for files containing 'xxx'. The Vista search is crap, so you're better off with XP or 2003.

If you want to restrict your search to transactions then just include *.trx

The web content is in the sub folder called web which will make it even easier.

Since the project archive will have files with non-Microsoft or industry standard extensions you'll also want to look into this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309173&FR=1

0 Kudos

Gilmour,

To really answer your question it's not likely that you'll be able to achieve a custom index approach since the content is stored as BLOBs in the NetWeaver database. You would have to read each of them out via custom actions, parse through the content and keep track of the references to each of the other pieces...not a small task. You're better off upgrading once v12.2 is released and if you're on v12.1 already then the upgrade is no different than applying a patch since they both run on NW CE.

Regards,

Sam

0 Kudos

Gilmour,

As Mike hinted but I can confirm that MII v12.2 does have a Where-Used for your developed content so you can identify the impact of modifying a transaction or query template on your application. There are plans to eventually entend this out to web content but I cannot confirm when this feature will be implemented.

In the near term, depending on your current version, you can press the "Usage" button for a data server and this should point you in the right-direction. I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but at least it's a start.

Hope this helps,

Sam

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A where used tool is supposed to be on the roadmap for MII 12.2 or 12.3 (not sure as I think it changed).

Regards,

Mike