Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manipulate plain pdf files with ADS

horst_hring
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We are struggling with following requirement:

Within a webdynpro application plain pdf files (transferred dayly to the servers file system) may be accessed and viewed.

The pdf should be viewed without any rights to print and save.

The trouble is - the pdf files are printable and saveable but can not be manipulated before this step.

We are using NW 7.01 and WD for Java.

To solve this we configured ADS an tried to convert the PDF using the clientserver.adobe.pdfdocument.api.

Yet we found no way to rewrite our pdf files with the api.

Looking through serveral forums did not give us a hint.

Are we going the wrong way?

Did we assume falsely that we can manipulate plain pdf files via ADS?

Thanks' and kind regards,

Horst

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member191062
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Horst,

the ADS is not designed to modify existing, non ADS generated PDF files. The usage rights modification is intended for the files generated with the ADS.

Best regards,

Dezso

horst_hring
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Dezso,

thank you for this information! So don't need to invest more time in research.

As I understand the ADS is designed for forms and workflow stuff.

On the other hand to have such a powerfull tool like ADS which can not perform such simple actions like manipulation of non ADS generated pdf appears to me quite sad.

@Otto: As stated above - take a (non ads generated) pdf (e. g. from file system), add/remove rights and view it in a WD. No need of interactive form, template or data if not necessary.

Best regards,

Horst

former_member191062
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

ADS is designed specially for generating pdf files (interctive or non-interactive) based on XML template and XML data.

This necessary for interactive and print scenraios.

It is not designed for modifying existing PDF files.

Non ADS generated files do not have the internal structure an ADS could enhance / change. It can only work on PDF files it has created.

Best regards,

Dezso

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

What is a plain PDF? How do you want to "manipulate" the file? Do you want to take a form template and change the dataset filled into this form? I am sorry, I don´t understand your scenario, can you provide some more details? Is your form interactive, I guess so?

Otto