cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IM004:[microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have been using Crystal on win XP for quite some time and the time has come to upgrade our client base to Win 7 - Almost everything is working except Crystal Reports.

Whenever we try to connect to our database we're getting the below message...

Logon failed.

details: IM004:[microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

The connection succeeds through the Windows ODBC Data Source Administrator but will not work through Crystal.

We are using a trial version of 2008 with SP2 applied, and trying to connect to an Oracle 10g DB - if we can get this working we can tick it off the list and move forward with a purchase of 2008 for W7 (we're currently at version 10 on XP)

Thank You

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I tried doing the same. I want to connect to Oracle 10g with Crystal Report 2008. I installed Oracle 10g client and while setting up the Net service name it showed test connection as successful. After that when I log into to SQL Plus, after entering the username, password and net service name and clicking on OK button SQL Plus window closes. I tried going to Net Configuration Assistant and that window is not opening at all. I could access Wallet Manager, Universal Uninstaller, OraOLEDB Readme menu and all. Can you please help me in this?

0 Kudos

THe Wired driver does not need the client installed. Not sure why it's failing for you. I suggest purchasing a case and get a support engineer to help you. Beyond the scope of forums now....

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/DisplayProductByTypePage&parentCategoryID=&categoryI...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, OK, I got it working with the wired driver. thanks.

i have a question about licensing for this driver though now... is anyone who has purchase CR entitled to use this driver or is it specifically those who purchase CR2008? we have users with version 10 - are they able to legally use this driver?

Secondly, we also use excel with the same DSN but i understand this is not a legal setup - how do we enable to DD oracle wired driver to be legally used with excel AND crystal? or should this be directed straight to DataDirect?

0 Kudos

Cool....

The DD drivers will look for a licensed copy of CR calling their driver. You can use it with both CR XI R1 and R2 and CR 2008. I have not tested it with CR 10, that version installed the DataDirect drivers by default but they were the older versions. I don't believe CR 10 had a wired driver. Try it though, it should work but technically it is not supported but either is CR 10 any more.

As for using our version in Excel I don't think it will work. Contact DD for Excel support, they may have an option for you. Or a separate version that is not CR dependant.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for you help. I will take it up with DD from here.

0 Kudos

Hello,

Try using OLE DB or our native driver to see if it's an issue with the ODBC driver you are using.

You should also download the DataDirect Driver package and test with it. You can get to it by clicking on the BusinessObjects tab above, Downloads, Crystal..... then Crystal Report, CR 2008 and Other. You'll find a link to Datadirect 5.3 install package.

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Hello,

Try using OLE DB or our native driver to see if it's an issue with the ODBC driver you are using.

You should also download the DataDirect Driver package and test with it. You can get to it by clicking on the BusinessObjects tab above, Downloads, Crystal..... then Crystal Report, CR 2008 and Other. You'll find a link to Datadirect 5.3 install package.

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

i tried that and now i don't get the error message, but Crystal now crashes when trying to connect and it closes down.

bit of a trade off - any other suggestions?

0 Kudos

Sorry about the mulitple posts. We had Server issues....

What did you try, DD ODBC drivers or OLE DB or?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I installed Data Direct 5.3, then created a system DSN using the "CR Oracle ODBC Driver 5.3"

tested connection - worked OK.

Tried through Crystal and i get a message "Crystal Reports has stopped working" Debug or Close.

Pressing Debug just loops the message again this time with close as the only option.

While i was searching to find a solution to this i found something about a SysWOW64 folder where the ODBC info is stored - i don't have this folder, is this relevant?

just to clarify - i am using win 7 pro 32 bit.

Thank You.

0 Kudos

Hello,

Great the DD drivers work. SysWOW64 is created for 64 bit OS's only, not related.

Go into Administrator Tools and open the Event Viewer and you should see entries in the App logs. Look for CRW32.exe and see if it indicates any other dll that was logged in crw32 closed.

Go into Control Panel, Programs and Feature and do a repair install. YOU MUST be a local PC administrator. When you did install did you select Run As Administrator by right clicking on the setup.exe? If not try that.

You may want to un-install first. Also, CR is highly dependent on Microsoft's Framework. Use the Update feature and apply any framework patches available also.

It's also been noted that if Printer drivers are not installed properly it too can cause CR to crash. Un-install any printers you don't need and then get the latest print drivers from their support site.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nothing in the eventvwr for CRW32.exe

i ran a repair to no avail.

I have just removed Crystal and re-installed as admin. SP1 is currently installing. i will patch up to SP2 again and retry.

There are no printers on this machine.

Fully patched with MS.

I'll post back after SP2 has installed (may be a while yet.... ) :o(

Former Member
0 Kudos

CR reinstalled as admin, patched to sp2. tried connection using DD 5.3 and same problem - app crashed - event log below...

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 05/02/2010 16:14:02

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: CHLTWin7.acresso.com

Description:

Faulting application name: crw32.exe, version: 12.2.0.290, time stamp: 0x4a365bb5

Faulting module name: oranls10.dll, version: 10.2.0.1, time stamp: 0x4303a3c4

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000379ea

Faulting process id: 0x%9

Faulting application start time: 0x%10

Faulting application path: %11

Faulting module path: %12

Report Id: %13

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-02-05T16:14:02.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>2229</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>CHLTWin7.acresso.com</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>crw32.exe</Data>

<Data>12.2.0.290</Data>

<Data>4a365bb5</Data>

<Data>oranls10.dll</Data>

<Data>10.2.0.1</Data>

<Data>4303a3c4</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>000379ea</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

0 Kudos

Cool, notice the error was also generated by the Oracle Client.

Faulting module name: oranls10.dll, version: 10.2.0.1, time stamp: 0x4303a3c4

I've noticed that if you have multiple versions of the client installed it can cause issues like this. If you do or had various Oracle clients installed I suggest you un-install them all and then re-install just the one you currently use.

Other thing to check is the PATH statement, Oracle will add their \bin folder to it. Make sure it is there and that only one verion is there. If you need to support both versions of the client then create a batch file to change the order they appear int he PATH statement.

Thank again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, originally i have been trying this with only the Oracle 10g client installed, i will remove it and try only with the client you suggested. i will report back, thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, i reimaged the machine again to be certain - i have removed AV too just on the chance it has anything to do with anything.

I have installed CR and patched to SP2

I have installed the DataDirect drivers version 5.3

I have never tried to setup a connection without the Oracle 10g client installed so could you please advise what my next step would be?

I tried to configure a connection using the DD drivers through ODBC connection manager but unsuprisingly it was unable to reach the server, not sure where is should put the TNSNAMES file we normally use without having 10g installed.

here is the output from my PATH...

Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\

Thanks for your patience, i'm quite new to all this, previously we have just installed 10g, installed crystal copied the TNSNAMES file to the network directory and it just worked 🐵

Ryan.

0 Kudos

Now install the Oracle client. You are correct, you do need one unless you try the Wired Driver included with the DD install. It has a client built in.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you help me to setup the DD wired driver?

i tried to configure it but it says "TNS-12154:TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

I have the TNSnames file saved to the root of C: and have entered this path in the TNS names file entry box on the wired driver settings... c:\tnsnames.ora

0 Kudos

Why not just install the Oracle Client? Then any of them should work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i could, i just wanted to eliminate that as a possibility for the cause of the problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can we try without the 10g clinet?

0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you

Don