cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to restrict job class C jobs (low priority) on the CI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Is there a way to restrict job class C jobs (low priority) running on the Central Instances?

We only want job class A and B to run on the CI (as well as application servers) and all other jobs to run only on the application servers.

I know how to restrict job class B and C from running on the CI - we could use operation modes (RZ04) to reduce the number of batch wps on the CI to 0 and increase the Class A batch wps. But this would mean that job class B would not be able to run there either.

Is there a way to allow only job class A and B to run on a specific instance?

Many thanks

Ross

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ross,

I think the answer is with your external software.

However you may want to check out note

786412 - Determining execution server of jobs w/o target server

You could remove the central instance from the default group

Also maybe create new groups for certain jobs as required.

Regards

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Robert - that note has more or less solved the problem... the main issue is with how we do this from the TWS side.

To summarise:

Could restrict job B and C running on the CI by getting rid of all normal BTC processes and assigning only Class A BTC processes via operation modes

- this means job class B jobs won't run on the CI either

- are there many job class B jobs that we DO want to run on the CI? If we went with this option, would we need to change lots of job class B jobs to job class A, and this need to done in TWS...

Or as per OSS note 786412 we could use SM61 to define a background processing group. It seems the jobs coming from TWS do not have a server or group specified, therefore this is determined by the SAP_DEFAULT_BTC group which currently contains all application servers including the CI. We could remove the CI but this would mean NO background jobs would run on the CI - unless explicitly specified by TWS. I.e. would we need to make changes in TWS, as we want Class A and B jobs to be able to run on the CI?

Similarily, we could create a new background processing group, eg SAP_CLASSC_BTC without the CI in it. If it is easy to identify which jobs in TWS are job class C and also to specify the server group in TWS, then this is another option.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, while scheduling jobs in SM36 you can define application server as well,

In SM36, there is an option Exec. Target, in that you can define application server on which you want to run your job.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunny, that's true...

...unfortunately we have thousands of jobs already defined, most of which haven't got a server specified. So they could run anywhere. We want to restrict those class C jobs from running on the CI though...

Also, we don't want users to be able to manually schedule a job class C job on the CI...

Any ideas?

Ross

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not quite sure for this. You can check this in table TBTCO.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

In theory, you could edit that table and adjust the server name...

But our jobs are scheduled by external software (TWS) so they don't appear in the table until they are running. One option I guess is to see if we can specify the server on which the job should run from the TWS end....