cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting .EAR file to .SDA

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a generic Java EAR file that I need to publish to the SAP WAS using SDM but I'm having a hard time finding a tool that will package it properly (ie create the sap_manifest file).

I found tools to convert PAR and EPA files to SDA's (see SAP note 696084) but nothing for a generic EAR file yet.

Has anyone done this before?

thanks,

Glenn

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

iavor_petkov
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

The SAP NW Developer Studio bundles the manifest when creating the ear file. So if you port the ear file to the DevStudio, you will have the SAP_MANIFEST.MF generated.

Does any DevStudio Guru know how to import wars and jars into an ear ? The DeployTool of 6.20 provided this functionality and it was quite easy to bundle the ear. Still in the DevStudio only loading of "projects" seems available and I wouldn't want to dissect a full-blown application.

Best Regards: Iavor

Jordan_Stanchev
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I have become more "intimate" with the MAKe utilities. So this is what I now know:

1. <i>par2sda</i>: Creates an SDA from a PAR file

2. <i>epa2sda</i>: Creates an SDA from a EPA file

3. <i>EAR</i>: No need to convert to SDA. Already considered as such

I have stumbled upon the following problems, and if you know how to bypass them I would be very happy:

1. If the PAR file is located in a different directory than the <i>par2sda</i> util then it is impossible to deploy this SDA (BaseIOException)

2. SCA cannot pack as long as in the build.xml file, line 53, <format property="counter"... /> is not commented. On the other hand you cannot create and SDA when it is commented. So I created the SDAs, commeted the line, and created the SCA...

This results in a quite awkward recipe but it worked.

Azriel

david_fryda2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am working ith netweaver 04 stack 09.

I created PAR files. I deploy them.

I do not understand why should I convert them to SDA or EPA files.

Can you help me this.

Thanks a lot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In NW04 you should perform all deployment through the SDM.

SDM cannot deploy PAR files, and neither EPA.

It can deploy single SDA (Software Development Archive) or an SCA (Software Component Archive) which consists of one or more SDAs. EAR files are considered as a valid SDA.

SDAs are considered "development". If you are creating a full application, the finished product should be archived in an SCA and not as a mumbojumbo of EAR, PAR, EPA or whatever.

As of NW04 EPA files should not have PAR files inside. So in order for you to create a complete businees packaged that works and easy to deploy - pack it all into an SCA. If your whole application is a single PAR file, then I guess, you don't have to go into all this trouble. But using SDM is highly advisable and one day will probably be a must.

EPA (Enterprise Portal Archive) are the "complete" Business Package you create (if you are...)

Hope I helped shed light...

Azriel

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Azriel,

> In NW04 you should perform all deployment

> through the SDM.

> As of NW04 EPA files should not have PAR files inside.

Both statements are not quite right, the "official strategy" ("it depends") is described here and around:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d6/772240da03e569e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Hope it helps

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

No dice - those tools are used to convert a J2EE JAR that is compatible with SAP WAS 6.20 to 6.40 format (there were quite a few cahgnes in the manifest and EJB descriptor files).

Any other ideas?

Glenn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well you can use the following:

It is from EP6 sp3 (NW04) from:

"System Administration -> Support -> Transport"

http://YOURHOST:PORT/irj/portalapps/com.sap.portal.pcd.transportapplication/sapmake_util/sapmake_uti...

Make sure you read

http://service.sap.com/~form/handler?_APP=01100107900000000342&_EVENT=DISPL_TXT&_NNUM=696084&;

This is the toold which converts PAR -> SDA, EPA -> SDA and SDA (several) -> SCA.

Currently I am having some trouble using it because of what appears like classpath problem, but you might work it out...

Hope it helps,

A'z

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey there - I'm intimately familiar (unfortunately) with the sapmake tools. They work for converting PAR's to and SDA and building multiple SDA's into a SCA but not for converting a vanilla J2EE EAR file into an SCA.

thanks,

Glenn

Former Member
0 Kudos